VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 PM

Default Odyssey Batteries going South on us???

My last Odyssey Battery was 7 years old, replaced it just because. The replacement is 19 months old and is being a real pain. Since, I've found out my partner has two Odyssey batteries that are not even 1.5 years old and are crapped out. Is Odessy going down hill? Do we have a clone being sold? I was a true Odyssey fan.
Repeat Offender / Race 007
Friend of the RV-1

Last edited by LifeofReiley : 01-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:23 PM

Unhappy What

That really sucks been seeing that posted here with the newer batteries. Mine is seven yrs old also. I guess I'll keep it til it dies. Do they have a warrenty?
Web site: http://www.newtech.com/bobbyhester/RVSite.htm
Dec. 2019 VAF donator - alot better than any magazine subscription
Old 12-30-2013, 06:38 PM

Well, this is indeed interesting. I got a new one 1.5 years ago, and it seems to be cranking very slowly the last couple months. Last one was 6ish years old before it sounded weak like this one. Maybe a crummy batch of them?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Battery shows a full charge, just no CCA's at all... and I have not changed my maintenance schedule at all. Checked all and EVERY connection.
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM

Default More info?

It might be interesting if those of you with early-failures on your batteries would share a bit more info. Such as, how do you treat your battery? Do you basically ignore it, or do you always hook it up to a maintainer, etc.

I have a suspicion that constantly leaving a battery on ANY maintainer might, maybe, (who knows) lead to an early demise.

Yep, I know what the maintainer mfg's say. My experience is different. On three different aircraft, I rarely charge my batteries other than flying the plane. I have a 6-year old inexpensive Tempest battery, still going well. Wouldn't use it for IFR, for sure, but it still works. Only charge it up about once a month if not flown. (Non-electrically-dependent, VFR airplane)

Flame Suit fully zipped up!
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2020 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM

I too replaced mine after 7 years, just because I figured it didn't owe me anything. Been 1.5 years and number two is running fine. Now that I said that, it is probably self districting as we speak. On a positive note, I sold my 7 year old battery for $40 !
www.Facebook.com/Purplehillair
www.purplehillair.com
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Old 12-30-2013, 07:07 PM

I've always used a Battery Tender Junior, even switched to another unit. They do work... 7 years it worked just fine. Even following the Manufacture charge instructions on this battery and nothing seems to work for this battery. Seems very strange to me, my Oydssey always was faithful until this new one.

Yes they have a pro-rated warranty, you pay shipping costs.
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
It might be interesting if those of you with early-failures on your batteries would share a bit more info. Such as, how do you treat your battery? Do you basically ignore it, or do you always hook it up to a maintainer, etc.

I have a suspicion that constantly leaving a battery on ANY maintainer might, maybe, (who knows) lead to an early demise.

Yep, I know what the maintainer mfg's say. My experience is different. On three different aircraft, I rarely charge my batteries other than flying the plane. I have a 6-year old inexpensive Tempest battery, still going well. Wouldn't use it for IFR, for sure, but it still works. Only charge it up about once a month if not flown. (Non-electrically-dependent, VFR airplane)

Flame Suit fully zipped up! Rake it off...
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM

Could it be we are getting a clone battery from China?
Friend of the RV-1
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post

I don't do anything in the way of a tender or charger. I rarely go 3 weeks without flying. Last time flying it had been two weeks, and I wasn't sure it was going to start. Charging voltage indicates ~14 to 14.2, but I need to independently verify with my multimeter. I'm also going to measure voltage before I turn anything on.