What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-382 Replacement (IO-375)

efitzgerald

I am one of the lucky ones affected by the XP-382 / XP-400 recall. So far Superior seems to be handling this very fairly.

I purchased my IO-382 from Aero Sport Power and am considering replacement options. They are recommending their IO-375 and I was looking feedback from owners that have them in their RV-7s.

I will be keeping the Superior cold air induction system, raven inverted oil system and EFII system that was installed on the 382. I have a Vetterman exhaust system, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/F74972 constant speed propeller and Hartzell prop governor.

Thanks for the input.

I have 730 hours on my Aerosport IO-375 and it has been flawless. Running dual Lightspeed EI systems I average around 8.3 gph. I was attracted to the engine after a lengthy discussion with Bart LeLonde. It was designed to provide 15 additional HP by 1/2? additional piston stroke and yet retain 8.0 - 1 compression ratio. I have no complaints.

IO-375

I have an IO-375 from Aero Sport Power (2010 vintage) in my RV-7. 409 hours on it so far and no issues. Mine is the 8:1 compression ratio version built predominately with ECI parts and does have the Superior cold air sump and is set up for a CS prop.

Impressions:

It's been a good solid engine, but frankly I have been underwhelmed by the apparent power. At the time I bought this engine, this version was advertised as producing 195 HP although I recall this claim was not the result of dyno testing but was an estimate. Later information from the Titan versions of this engine and my experience with the performance of my own aircraft would lead me to believe it is probably closer to 185 HP. Again - I don't have any dyno numbers for my engine.

Oil consumption has always been a bit higher than I would like (5 to 7 Hrs/Qt) but is certainly within acceptable limits. I have the nickel-carbide cylinders.

Just my 2-cents.

Thanks for the information.

The standard IO-382 was supposed to make 200 HP. My IO-382 with porting, high compression pistons, cold air intake and the EFII system should have been even higher. But I am always skeptical of inflated HP numbers from these stroker engines. I'd still like to stay around the 200 HP mark. The IO-375 from Aero Sport is described as making 200 HP with the superior cold air intake and EFII system.

Another option would be a angle valve IO-360 or IO-390. But I am assuming that the exhaust wouldn't fit and the injector bosses from SDS won't work (I swapped out the intake tube mounted injectors). What other problems would I run into? Is the engine cowl different between the parallel and angle valve engines? How about the cold air intake and and inverted oil system? Propeller?

The engine hasn't been mounted and is still on an engine stand so I have options but I want to make this as seamless as possible and minimize wasted money.

I?m with Dan.
I also have two IO-375 low compr. engines and believe they are more like 180 - 185 hp than the advertised 195 hp. When I look up the (piston) part numbers on my engines the compr. ratio is around 7.8 and not like 8.5 or 8.3 as said. This would explain some lower power.
Other than that engines are running great and using autofuel they are - I believe - not so sensible to lower octan ratings.

Superior is shipping me a crate for the engines return.

Just unwrapped it and it is still looking good. Its a bit depressing, I was getting very close to hanging it on the plane.

IMG_4888_zps8duzwfgi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_4887_zps4fd1hjc7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IO-375 question

I just replaced my O-360 with a Titan IO-370 (195 HP). My understanding is that when TCM bought ECI, they dropped the name ECI and now have the Titan line of engines. Titan has a "360" and a "370" - which is the stroked version of the 360.

So how does Aerosport get a 375 if they are building their engines from ECI/Titan components?

Rick,

The Aerosport IO-375 engine uses CMI (formerly ECI) nickel carbide cylinders. I am assuming the bulk of the components are CMI but I am not sure.

I am going to get more information from Aerosport along with performance options as I will probably end up going with them for it.

I'm still looking at other options, I have contacted several state side companies. I will be making my decision within two weeks because that is the time I will have before the 382 goes back and I need to decide what parts other than the fuel and ignition systems, that I will keep.

Marketing at Work

I just replaced my O-360 with a Titan IO-370 (195 HP). My understanding is that when TCM bought ECI, they dropped the name ECI and now have the Titan line of engines. Titan has a "360" and a "370" - which is the stroked version of the 360.

So how does Aerosport get a 375 if they are building their engines from ECI/Titan components?

AFAIK, they are all the same. The displacement is actually 371 point something. My IO-375 from Aero Sport uses the same (undamped) crankshaft part number listed for the current Titan engines which would pretty well determine that the displacement would be the same.

Love it

Rick,
Now that you have flown the same plane with the O-360 and 370 how do they compare performance wise?

I'm still breaking in the new engine, so I'm flying at high power setting. I can definitely tell the difference. Take-off climb has improved but I'm trying to keep the CHT lows so only slow climbs after I get to 1000 AGL.

I've pick up at least 5 -7 knots on cruise speed down low. I'm hoping that the high compression pistons (9.6:1) will help keep the power up a little bit at 8000 MSL.

Titan Engine options

So you guys know.
The Continental Motors Titan experimental engines division can build a new 320, 340, 360 or 370 cubic inch engine with or without the accessories. If a customer wants to install accessories of his own, we run the engine on a hour test stand for 3 hours with "slave" system. This is to get the break in off to a good start, check for leaks, adjust the oil pressure, etc..
We offer many options for ignition systems, fuel delivery, induction system, piston compression ratios, valve train ( roller or flat tappet ), and cylinder design. These are tested and approved options that you may want on your engine. If you would like to explore what we can do and quote, we can be reached by phone at 251 436 8122, by email at [email protected]. or stop by and see us at Sun & Fun next month booth space LD004.

Titan 370 Crankshafts and Pistons

Continental Motors builds the Titan 370 engines and kits with 2 basic configurations and a lot of options for fuel delivery, ignition, etc.

For either a fixed pitch or constant speed prop set-up they are;

High Comp. 9.6:1 Crankshaft equipped with counterweights 195 HP

Low Comp. 8.3:1 Non-counterweighted crankshaft 187 HP

The assigned the HP ratings above are average standards derived from dyno. testing of a few, not all configurations. Some make more HP than they are rated at which is achieved by the induction and accessories chosen. The counterweights on the high compression version are to mitigate the harmonic frequencies of vibration that could have an adverse effect on the propeller. The low compression does no generate such frequency vibrations so does not need counterweights.
The advantage of the low comp. versions for some owners is the option to use mogas. It is recommended that care be taken not to run too lean and that some 100LL is introduced into the engine from time to time 100LL must be used exclusively for at least the first 25 hour break in time.

J.B., my 370 has 7.8 CR on the data plate. Is it actually 7.8 or 8.3? It was purchased from you about a year ago.

Compression Ratio

Actually there is also a piston option for a milder 7.8:1 compression, piston part # AEL75413. That gives you more of a safety option to utilize mogas.

Back