What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommend a great WA airport with sights?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
Im going to be visiting a buddy in the Seattle area next week and was hoping to bring him for a flight in my RV somewhere cool. Looking for a rural/ beautiful airport/ strip that is within and hour or so of Renton where we could go hiking or other outdoor activities for a day. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Im going to be visiting a buddy in the Seattle area next week and was hoping to bring him for a flight in my RV somewhere cool. Looking for a rural/ beautiful airport/ strip that is within and hour or so of Renton where we could go hiking or other outdoor activities for a day. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Try Orcas Island, Robbie. Great airport and easy hiking near by. Enroute do a touch and go at Friday Harbor and salute the memory of Ernie Gann, required for all airline pilots. Stop at KBVS and say Hi at my hangar, but the 5 minute rule is in effect, I've gotta sand and repaint my wings. A paint booth filter failed and they came out terribly.

Steve Kessinger

fly over the Olympics and land at S16 Copalis beach (check the tide tables first :)

If you're adventurous with some mountain flying experience, there's Stehekin 6S9, but check conditions first. Great fishing in the Stehekin river next to the landing strip and a 2 mile hike to the lake and resort with another mile to the town of Stehekin. Lots of info online

edit: sorry, Stehekin is closed for the winter

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the tide was high so Copalis will have to wait for next time but we did fly the san juans and enjoyed a nice meal and walk around town at Friday Harbor.

Back