What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on fuselage piano hinge shim

AlpineYoda

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm working on adding the piano hinges to the front end of the fuselage of the RV-10, where the cowl will attach.

Page 41Q-7 says to cut a number of shims from 0.020 thick 2024-T3 aluminum. I don't think I see any of this in the box of parts and I don't see this particular material listed in the inventory list (unless I'm missing it).

I do have two pieces of thin aluminum strips labeled F10107, about 3 feet long, which the inventory lists as rivet backing. The shims on 41Q-7 are 1/2 inch wide, while F10107 is 5/8 inches wide.

Two questions:
1, what do I use for the shims behind the piano hinges? Did I overlook the part in the box? Do I cut these from scrap? Do I have to source these somewhere else?
2, Assuming the F10107 is NOT the material for this shim, what is it used for? I've glanced ahead a few sections and I don't see it used in the cabin cover or anything else.

Last edited:
The cabin top definitely gets rivet backing strips; Both for the horizontal pop rivet area on each side, as well as the far aft hump. I remember this being .025 not .020 but my memory may not be trustworthy.

Sorry, but don't remember how the .020 stock was provided, though I know it was in the kit and didn't order it separately. Also remember them not being straight either.

Larry

Last edited:
Thanks - I will look again in the box. Maybe I missed them. I'm guessing they are rather small.

Worst case, I have the old skin from my vertical stabilizer on hand since I bought a re-do skin. I think that is a little thicker than 0.02, but I can cut pieces of that.

I don't remember what I used, but my best guess is that I made the shims from the one of the aluminum pieces included with one of the kits (I think it may have been the empennage kit?) as scrap/practice material. These are pieces about 12" x 4" of various thickness that are bundled with masking tape. These pieces are not marked with a part number but are called out on the kit inventory.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Back