What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What next?

Papa

Well Known Member
About ten years ago I built an RV-8 which I still own and enjoy. I mostly fly local aerobatics in it, but I do a little cross county as well. When we do take a trip, my wife sits in the back with our dog in her lap...not great, but she is a good sport! Anyway, a few years ago I started kicking around the idea of a larger x-county airplane which would obviously be a lot more comfortable...I was also getting the bug to build again. The RV-10 was an obvious choice. My plan was to start it in a handful of years to coincide with retirement (give me a project to keep me out of trouble). Then along came COVID-19. Long story short: I have a ton of time off right now. So I pushed up the start date and am currently building the empennage. Here’s the problem. Although I have QB wings and fuselage on order, they are still 6 months out. At the rate I’m building I will finish the empennage within the next month or six weeks, giving me 4 or 5 months of dead time. Since I really want to take advantage of my time off from work (it won’t continue indefinitely), I want to keep working.

Anyway, there doesn’t seem to be a great solution. I’ve kicked around the idea of perhaps ordering avionics and starting on the wiring bundles, but that’s not really ideal. First of all, it’s generally a mistake to order anything electronic until as late as possible because that stuff always gets better and cheaper. Second, I’d just be guessing on the length of the wire bundles, etc. But I haven’t given up on the idea yet. But I thought I’d toss the idea out here because perhaps someone has a better idea...it wouldn’t be the first time!

Well, I'm building a -10. I had some knee surgery a week ago that was supposed to have a 5 day recovery, but the problem wasn't what they thought it was on the MRI, and, long story short, I'm in a full leg brace with no weight bearing for the next 10 weeks. I'm limited to doing some light work for the foreseeable future while hobbling around on crutches.

It's in a heated hangar with great power, wifi, a kitchen, and a bathroom. (I'm subletting a little bit of space from a tech company based at the airport).

You are more than welcome to camp out in the parking lot and build mine for me for the next several weeks!

If you have the funds, order a slow build set of wings and sell your spot here on VAF for the quick build wings. there should be someone looking to get a set of quick builds sooner.

I suspect Vans may let you cancel the QB order in lieu of an SB kit. It not like they are having any problems getting folks to place new QB orders and get stuck with inventory. You could also offer to defer your QB kit deposit refund until the kit arrives in the US and is sold to another buyer or Van's secures a new deposit for it from another buyer. That takes out all of the financial issues/risk for Vans.

Larry

RV10

We finished our beloved RV10 09.15.2015 and now have 915 Hobbs. We are loving using this plane to fly around the NW and have flown around SW, Florida, Texas, and many other places. When the second son Dalton finished HS, taking the same route the first son Kyle and I took two years previous in a partner owned 182 flying a route from Arlington, wa to Ft. Lauderdale , Florida.This plane is now one of the best things my wife and I can do something together in that brings a lot of joy to us. The RV10 is really a phenomenal plane and it has potential to take you around the entire USA very efficiently because you can cover a couple of states and land in very small airports, carry almost any amount of luggage without being hassled with finding your way around a larger airport. The people you meet hoping around different small FBO’s is actually a great benefit and restores my belief in Americans being the classy kind people I have always believed in. I am sure that the majority of us building these planes are not leaving them in hangars for very long. These truly are useful in many conditions too as we have loved the IFR capabilities and often used the auto pilot for added safety popping in and out of cloud layers. These are truly amazing planes.

Thor Mcilrath, KAWO Arlington, WA.

Last edited:
Back