What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxygen

MikeyDale

Well Known Member
I am planning a trip to West Yellowstone from my home in West Texas in a few weeks in my RV7. We will probably want to fly around the park a little while staying with friends for a few days. I will avoid high altitude if I can and wear a Blood Oxygen Sensor. I am not interested in investing in a oxygen system as we rarely fly over 10k. Does anyone have a suggestion for a throw away can of emergency oxygen? I have seen these on Amazon
41MP-BdYaDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

If you want to go rob my big bottle and Mountain High two-place system out of my plane for the trip, you're welcome to it.

Romeo Mike,
Defenitely borrow the Mountain High O2, once you fly with it a couple times I bet you end up getting an O2 system. Mine has easily paid for itself in less than a year in fuel and engine time, a little less fuel per hour but often altitude can make a headwind a crosswind if not a significantly better tailwind. Altitude can shave hours off the same flight. It is an added safety factor giving you more options for terrain and weather as long as you properly address hypoxia, icing and handling of O2.
The little cans of air would be pretty useless, check out the “Time of useful Consciousness” at the altitudes you would be using.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_useful_consciousness

Last edited:
Gonna be gone about 10 days, can you go without it that long? What does it weigh?

The cylinder I have is a big one, the E-size and weighs about 10 pounds. It's about half full right now so it will give about 15 reliable person-hours of oxygen with the pulse demand system. I'm about to head to the lakehouse but you are welcome to drop by the hangar and fish it out of my baggage compartment, you'll need a flatblade screwdriver to loosen the band clamp I have holding it to the sidewall. I think I only have one nasal cannula in the plane, you can buy those lots of places or online if you have time for it to ship to you.

The mountain high controller has lots of settings for how much oxygen it will deliver - but almost everybody will just use the first setting - push the "on" button multiple times and it will step through them, but the first one, "N" I believe, is the default that fits most. It doesn't continuously flow oxygen, only gives you a short pulse just as you start an inhalation, so it goes to the bottom of your lungs and gets better absorbed that way. It automatically adjust the amount of oxygen it is sending to you based on altitude - the higher you go, the more it gives. You can use it with one or two people, since it only delivers oxygen when it senses the low pressure as you start a breath.

As Andy said - once you fly with it, you'll want one! :D

https://www.mhoxygen.com/product-category/portable-pulse-demand/

Last edited:
Greg, we are planning to leave on the 17th July and get back on the 27th. Are you sure you wont be needing it then?

I am planning a trip to West Yellowstone from my home in West Texas in a few weeks in my RV7. We will probably want to fly around the park a little while staying with friends for a few days. I will avoid high altitude if I can and wear a Blood Oxygen Sensor. I am not interested in investing in a oxygen system as we rarely fly over 10k. Does anyone have a suggestion for a throw away can of emergency oxygen? I have seen these on Amazon
41MP-BdYaDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I used those couple times at 15,000? years ago. They reduce the fatigue greatly.

You can go to a local medical supply company and rent a tank and regulator for around $20. You will have to buy the nose cannula. Cheap way to go if you only need once or twice a year..

Back