What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad Pro 9.7 Retina Display

N804RV

Well Known Member
Anyone moved up from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro? Is the readability in sunlight that much better?

I've been using an Air 2 for a couple of years now. And, most of the time, its fine here in the PNW. But, in direct sunlight, its marginal at best. Even when I put on polarized sunglasses and turn the iPad to coincide with the polarization, its still pretty washed out and hard to read.

I'm considering buying used D100/D120 for cockpit glass and just using iPad for moving map. If the retina display makes that big a difference, that would just about clinch it for me.

Air 2 vs 9.7 iPad

I use the older iPad Air 2 with Garmin Pilot and recently bought the newer 9.7 inch iPad for my wife. I think the Air 2 is better. Brighter. Clearer.
Mounted on yoke of my Cherokee. Haven't finished my RV yet.

I am interested in this as well.
Googling ipad nits get this info.

“Maximum Brightness, from 415 cd/m2 (nits) for the iPad Air 2”
Ref http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_2015_ShootOut_1.htm

“iPad Pro 9.7in (2016): 9.7 inches (diagonal), 2048 × 1536, 264ppi, 4:3, 60MHz refresh rate, 511 nits brightness (tested)
iPad Pro 10.5in (2017): 10.5 inches (diagonal), 2224 x 1668, 264ppi, 4:3, 120MHz refresh rate, 600 nits brightness (claimed)”
Ref https://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ipad/ipad-pro-105in-2017-vs-ipad-pro-97in-2016-3660078/

2018 iPad 9.7 (not Pro)
“The iPad's panel delivered 489 nits of brightness”
Ref https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/apple-ipad-9-7-inch

What that means in real world cockpit I cannot tell as I have not compared them. As said above the various anti reflective coatings may also make a difference.

Last edited:
Anyone moved up from an iPad Air 2 to an iPad Pro? Is the readability in sunlight that much better?

I've been using an Air 2 for a couple of years now. And, most of the time, its fine here in the PNW. But, in direct sunlight, its marginal at best. Even when I put on polarized sunglasses and turn the iPad to coincide with the polarization, its still pretty washed out and hard to read.

I'm considering buying used D100/D120 for cockpit glass and just using iPad for moving map. If the retina display makes that big a difference, that would just about clinch it for me.

Ken they all suck in direct sunlight. Consumer electronics not aviation applications. I use Pro daily as a moving map and I often change angles in the cockpit. It's an excellent reference and helps with navigation tremendously.

IPad Pro Sunlight

2qch6rk.jpg

I have been satisfied with the IPad Pro. Can read it as well as the other displays

I bought the new iPad with the improved display when they first came out. I was always dissatisfied with the iPad?s display in my -7 as it was just not bright enough. The new one is great and it is perfectly fine in normal sunlight.

I bought the new iPad with the improved display when they first came out. I was always dissatisfied with the iPad?s display in my -7 as it was just not bright enough. The new one is great and it is perfectly fine in normal sunlight.

What model number do you have ( from back cover)? Is it the A1675?

I'm curious if you guys who don't find the visibility acceptable have tried anti-glare screen protectors. I find they work great.

Ken they all suck in direct sunlight. Consumer electronics not aviation applications. I use Pro daily as a moving map and I often change angles in the cockpit. It's an excellent reference and helps with navigation tremendously.

Ken,
I recently started using the Samsung Galaxy S3 tab and find it to be perfectly easy to read in any lighting conditions in my RV-6. You should check it out.

Back