What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solar Eclipse Airport Map

NovaBandit

Well Known Member
We're planning on flying out to see the eclipse in August, likely waiting until a day or two before to decide where to go based on the weather.

To help figure out the destination, I threw together a map of (most) public airports within the path of totality. The map is a best effort thing, as the FAA's public airport data isn't exactly clean or well organized.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.goodplaneliving.com/2017-solar-eclipse/

Check with the airports on your list of possibles beforehand. I called Hopkinsville KY, (KHVC) to inquire about flying in. They're charging a reservation fee and issuing a NOTAM closing the runway that weekend if you don't have a reservation. The towns been planning for 2 yrs and expecting 100,000 visitors. She recommended camping as lodging is scarce and hotels are charging a premium.

Nice!!! We are going with a group to Moncks Corner (KMKS), SC. We already have ramp, hotel and car reservations. Now we just hope the weather cooperates.

:cool:

Scratch Grant County (John Day, OR) off your list. All tie downs are reserved, airport will be Notamed closed to non-reservation holders.

Drive to it

I was late booking stuff so I think I'll take a different approach.

I'm planning on Roseburg, OR and a 2+ hr drive into the Salem area - probably ending up in Stayton or Sublimity.

Hotels nearer in Eugene are just about sold out or expen$ive and I'm guessing the I-5 drive south from Portland will be like a LA traffic jam.

On top of that, being a tourist for a few days extra in Oregon in August isn't too bad anyway...:)

Hello Ed,

The Twin Cities RV guys are tentatively planning a one day eclipse watching trip. There are several possibilities down in Nebraska and I hope to coordinate it as we get closer. Your map will big help!

It's going to last...what? Maybe two minutes at any single location? And it may be bad weather...
Bah-Humbug! I'll just stay at home.

It's going to last...what? Maybe two minutes at any single location? And it may be bad weather...
Bah-Humbug! I'll just stay at home.

That's why having a personal airplane is useful. We can fly to a location where the weather will be good.

I feel bad for the people who travel a long distance to view the eclipse, book hotel rooms, etc, and end up with an overcast day.

Back