What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B Self Install...

David-aviator

Well Known Member
...I am focused on FreeFlight RANGR FDL-978-XVR system, anyone here installed it yourself?

Seems like it should not be too much of a challenge after building an airplane.

Success through patience

You can do it. I found that even quite complicated things can be done with patience. Take your time and enjoy the moment even if you cut the wires too short! Laugh at your mistake and correct it and move forward. :)

You could if they would sell it to you. I tried to get into their dealer network as experimental only. Filled out the application a few months ago. Haven't heard back.

They only deal with Part 145 shops, according to their sales rep.

EDIT: How to buy...

Last edited:
I am a Freeflight dealer and have sold quite a few to the VAF folks, let me know if I can help.

I did ... and, it works

David,

I purchased the Rangr FDL-978-XVR from Walt and did the install myself this summer. FAA eval showed the system to work perfectly when I got it done. I have the WiFi module and it feeds the iPad - really cool! The manual is okay, but the support from Walt and from FreeFlight is great! email or pm me if you would like to talk about it. I am tied up this weekend, but can talk next week.

Best,

Merrill

David,

I purchased the Rangr FDL-978-XVR from Walt and did the install myself this summer. FAA eval showed the system to work perfectly when I got it done. I have the WiFi module and it feeds the iPad - really cool! The manual is okay, but the support from Walt and from FreeFlight is great! email or pm me if you would like to talk about it. I am tied up this weekend, but can talk next week.

Best,

Merrill

Thanks to you and all others responding, I appreciate it.

The Freeflight is easy to install, but much more complicated than the NavWorx. I am a dealer for both, and neither require a repair station.

Default ADS-B Self Install...

David,

The FF is a great product, and you shouldn't have any issue installing it. Purchase through Walt and you can't go wrong. He's a great resource to have, and he knows this system inside out. Search this forum (for freeflight) and you will find questions I had about the installation, that Walt promptly answered. You will be in good hands.

(Hey, we've both gone the extreme with the E6, and come back full circle to the tried-and-true -- believe me, the FF is a piece of cake compared to that experience!) :D

Michael

David,

I installed this system in my -7 last spring (also purchase from Walt Aronow). I have it interfacing my AFS EFIS boxes and a Garmin GTX-327. It does require from wiring but workable with patience. Be happy to help. Email at [email protected].

Back