What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any wood prop refinishing near St Louis?

grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
I've wanted to get my Warnke refinished for over a year and I've come to the realization that the internal holdup is the packing/shipping involved. I located a shop that sounded good but no way I can deliver it myself.

So almighty VAF brothers and sisters, can anyone recommend a good shop within say 300 miles of St Louis so I can just deliver and pick it up myself? It doesn't need any modifications, just fresh lacquer to protect the wood if that matters?

If that isn't an option does anyone nearby have a shipping container I can borrow. The one I'd build before trusting the shippers would weigh as much as my O320:D

Thanks so much, fly well

I've wanted to get my Warnke refinished for over a year and I've come to the realization that the internal holdup is the packing/shipping involved. I located a shop that sounded good but no way I can deliver it myself.

So almighty VAF brothers and sisters, can anyone recommend a good shop within say 300 miles of St Louis so I can just deliver and pick it up myself? It doesn't need any modifications, just fresh lacquer to protect the wood if that matters?

If that isn't an option does anyone nearby have a shipping container I can borrow. The one I'd build before trusting the shippers would weigh as much as my O320:D

Thanks so much, fly well

Grant,
Years ago when I was flying with a Bruce Tift prop behind the LEZ, I did a couple grass take offs and landings at Canaan, CT. That was not smart.

The prop had to be refinished - I did it myself using a marine grade varnish from a local hardware store. Just sand it down with 100 grit and have at it. :)

DIY

As David said...I have done a bunch, and my "antique" Sterba gets lots of compliments. I do mine with a DA sander using 180 grit, then hand sand with the grain. I use a Valspar spray bomb, and balance with a simple tube through the hub supported on a couple steel straight edges. The light blade gets an extra coat or two. I also spray the backside flat black. Total cost less than 30 bucks.

As David said...I have done a bunch, and my "antique" Sterba gets lots of compliments. I do mine with a DA sander using 180 grit, then hand sand with the grain. I use a Valspar spray bomb, and balance with a simple tube through the hub supported on a couple steel straight edges. The light blade gets an extra coat or two. I also spray the backside flat black. Total cost less than 30 bucks.

Exactly. This isn't rocket surgery.

"Spar Varnish" (available in the aerospace wood finishes aisle at Lowes and Home Depot) is probably the thing to use for the most durable finish....

Refinishing prop

I'm faced with the same thing as you. I have a Bernie Warnke prop on my RV-6 that needs to be refinished and really don't care to tackle it myself. I think it was last done in 2006 looking at the logs. mine has white on the last third of the blades. I'll build a box and ship it somewhere if I can't deliver it.

Who works on these Warnke props?

I'm faced with the same thing as you. I have a Bernie Warnke prop on my RV-6 that needs to be refinished and really don't care to tackle it myself. I think it was last done in 2006 looking at the logs. mine has white on the last third of the blades. I'll build a box and ship it somewhere if I can't deliver it.

Who works on these Warnke props?

I Do! Give me a call.
713-417-2519

Back