What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

solvent for tape residue on plexiglas?

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
When I built my wings I put tape on my plexiglas landing light and wing tip covers to protect them from abrasions, for the amount of time the tape was on them it was not a good idea. Lesson - best to wrap them up in paper or bubble wrap without tape on plexiglas.

Now after about three years - when I peeled the tape off it left adhesive residue at the edges of the tape layers.

Isopropyl 91% and denatured alcohol cleaned off most of it.

Some very stubborn residue still there.

What is the most aggressive solvent that can be used on these plexiglas parts that won't harm them?

I find that Ronsonal lighter fluid has the least effect on material and removes tape glue pretty good. Goof-Off can damage plastic.

Lighter Fluid

+1 on the lighter fluid. That’s what we were told ‘way back in A&P school. Using other solvents (alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, toluol, all those things most of us have in our shops) is scary. They may not do any apparent damage right away, but the plastic will craze later.

I had the same issue but clear tape was on only a week. Spoke to AP Plastics directly who make the canopies and he said to use Mineral spirits & a soft fibre cloth only!.
It removed it very well without any damage.

Back