What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full Foam Preservative Process

Jetmart

Well Known Member
Has anyone received an engine from Lycoming with the full foam preservation process? How difficult is it to clean up when it comes time to hang it?

Well, Glenn, it's been a while, but I had the long-term storage. Not certain what you mean by full-foam. My engine was in a plastic bag with desiccant inside the bag and an visible indicator card with dots that would show if humidity in the bag climbed to certain limits. The bag with engine in it were nestled into foam, in the shipping box - no foam touched the engine. A little preservative oil was in the engine, to be drained prior to adding mineral oil (I used Phillips) for the break-in.

Hope this helps.

Merrill

Ok That must be it.

This is what I got from Lycoming and I envisioned foam oil preservative not styrofoam.

We have a procedure called full foam for engines that sit in the box for a while or ship internationally. This process can take a week or two and I didn’t want to hold up your engine shipment to full foam it if you are going to install it right on the aircraft. I will have it full foamed, I would advise you not to open the box if it’s going to sit for awhile.

Back