What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 Prop

nwramjet

I'm New Here
Hi, I am a new member and looking to buy a suitable metal or composite prop for our RV4. Also a recommendation for a local prop repair facility for our two Pacesetter 200 props. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Not sure of your local prop guys, and I can't help you (yet) on a prop for your airplane. We need just a bit more info.

What engine do you have? 150hp? 160hp? 180hp? Are you looking for a climb or a cruise prop? Or just something in between? Leading edge protection in the rain or doesn't matter?

I have a (no longer produced) Warnke prop on my 160hp RV-4 sized at 68x74 and I love it.

Others will probably mention Catto propellers. If you can afford it, might not be a bad option. https://www.cattoprops.com/products/rv/

Sensenich also makes a nice Composite Ground adjustable for the best of both worlds (climb and cruise) http://www.sensenich.com/shop/aircr...o-360-ground-adjustable-high-speed-propeller/

Hope this helps.

Ed Sterba make a great prop for a great price. Tell him what setup you have and what you want out of the prop and he will make a prop just for you. Its a very nice propeller. He also does free re-pitching if it isn't to your liking.

He doesn't have the fancy computer stuff that Catto has, but I don't think you can beat Sterba if you are on a budget. I shipped a prop all the way to Hawaii for about $700 total. (shipping was over $100 to Hawaii)

Hi, I am a new member and looking to buy a suitable metal or composite prop for our RV4. Also a recommendation for a local prop repair facility for our two Pacesetter 200 props. Any help would be appreciated. :)

I'm not local but i do refinish and repair Wood props. Give me a call. 713-417-2519

Sterba

I run a Sterba on my -4 , I bought it for less than $300, refinished it and balanced (static). Smooth, durable and very easy to maintain. Im running a 160 hp O320, and get about 162 kts true at 2600 RPM. Ideally, Im a bit underpitched, and will likey try and get another Sterba in the future. Im a budget guy, and my wallet has too many leaks to spend a lot on a prop. The Sterba has a urethan L/E that will deflect much abuse.

Budget?

Whirlwind 3 blade constant speed prop can?t be beat for performance and stunning looks while parked. It is big $$$ though, but worth it.

Catto!

My Catto prop made my airplane! Breakfast runs, aerobatics, formation and Racing. Truly worth every dollar and the Catto family takes care of there customers like no other! 1/3 the price of CS but nearly all the performance.

I have a Sensenich metal prop, 70CM6S9-0 (81).
It will be for sale as soon as I get my new Catto.
Hopfully next month.

I am with Shawn and Bud on the Catto!

Ours (when I still co-owned it that is) has an 160 hp O-320 with Catto prop. The plane was not particularly light, and flew without the landing gear fairings. And yet we could get to 210 mph in level flight with that prop, and at the same time climb at nearly 2000 fpm. Amazing prop for that airframe. I'm a believer...

Back