What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Advice

Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Below is a pic of my current panel. I would like to install a used 430W where the 295 is. Then, I want to replace the DG with an electric EFIS such as a G5 or similar. I figure this will give me dual radios, IFR gps capability including an indicator through the G5, as well as VOR/LOC. Does this seem a sensible plan? Can I use the same indicator (G5) for both the GPS output and the VOR/LOC output from the 430?

RbyPYx9.jpg

And you will need Garmin's GAD 29B so the 430W can talk to the G5's CAN bus interface.

Sounds like a good overall strategy for you.

But if you intend on keeping your airplane for 10yrs or more, I would seriously consider spending some more $$$ and get the GTN-650 instead of the GNS-430W. It is only a matter of time before Garmin stops supporting the G430W and you will wind up having to install a G650 anyways.

Just my 2cents.

:cool:

I have a 420W talking to a G5 without a GAD 29b. From memory the RS 232 output on port 1 connects to the corresponding input on pin 4 on the G5. Works fine.

Jack

Below is a pic of my current panel. I would like to install a used 430W where the 295 is. Then, I want to replace the DG with an electric EFIS such as a G5 or similar. I figure this will give me dual radios, IFR gps capability including an indicator through the G5, as well as VOR/LOC. Does this seem a sensible plan? Can I use the same indicator (G5) for both the GPS output and the VOR/LOC output from the 430?

What about the ADS-B Out requirement? Are you considering upgrading to an ADS-B transponder? If so, you might want to take a look at the GNX 375 which will give you a GPS navigator and ADS-B transponder in one box for $8K--significantly less than a GTN 650. With the cost of a 430W around $4K and the possibility that they may be going extinct, it might be a good time to look ahead. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the good advice!

Yes, ADSB needs to be a consideration as well. I suppose I could go with the 375, then add an SL30 for nav and a second com radio. Lots to think about...

Upgrade

I would recommend getting the newest technology that you can justify/afford. Having lived through a few technology life cycles, I have learned the hard way that saving on technology is often a false economy when considered in the long run.

Looks like you will have a nice set up.

John

You will need a GAD-29 (not 29B, which is the certified, and more expensive, version) to get full functionality of the 430W into the G5. It also needs RS-232 for MAPX, which provides limited functionality, alone.

Good plan

RbyPYx9.jpg

In answer to your questions: yes. I think this is a very sensible upgrade plan, although I think you'll want the GAD-29 as others have noted.

I fly a 430W/G5 combination IFR on a fairly regular basis and I'm very satisfied with it. I'm hardly a complete Garmin fanboy, but I think the G5 is really good gear. And I learned on a 430 so the fact that its user interface is (admittedly) a bit old school doesn't bug me. If you're not already experienced with the 430, you can get up to speed pretty quickly on it using YouTube and various aftermarket pilot's guides.

These threads always lead toward recommendations to spend more $ on newer stuff :). But I think a used 430W remains a very good value and a very good option for your panel upgrade. There are a zillion 430s out there so I don't think you'll be orphaned any time soon. I'm ready to be proven wrong, and promise to revisit this thread in five years. :)

Now it's my turn to encourage you to spend more $$: if you're undecided I strongly encourage you to get the battery backup option for the G5. It's not that expensive and provides an enormous amount of redundancy. A total no-brainer in my view.

In answer to your questions: yes. I think this is a very sensible upgrade plan, although I think you'll want the GAD-29 as others have noted.

I fly a 430W/G5 combination IFR on a fairly regular basis and I'm very satisfied with it. I'm hardly a complete Garmin fanboy, but I think the G5 is really good gear. And I learned on a 430 so the fact that its user interface is (admittedly) a bit old school doesn't bug me. If you're not already experienced with the 430, you can get up to speed pretty quickly on it using YouTube and various aftermarket pilot's guides.

These threads always lead toward recommendations to spend more $ on newer stuff :). But I think a used 430W remains a very good value and a very good option for your panel upgrade. There are a zillion 430s out there so I don't think you'll be orphaned any time soon. I'm ready to be proven wrong, and promise to revisit this thread in five years. :)

Now it's my turn to encourage you to spend more $$: if you're undecided I strongly encourage you to get the battery backup option for the G5. It's not that expensive and provides an enormous amount of redundancy. A total no-brainer in my view.

I'm also pretty familiar with the 430 functionality; that's why I am leaning towards that unit. And I agree, the battery backup is definitely in the plans.

I think I have seen mention that Garmin is not supporting some very early 430's. I am a big fan of the 430 and 530.
I have not used the new generation Garmin but I cannot comprehend trying to use a touchscreen in moderate or greater turbulence.

430 Support

As far as I know Garmin no longer support the GNS 430 '' 28 Volts'' unit..Don't know about the other models..

Bruno

I was looking at the new Garmin GPS at OSH to replace my old GNS 430 (non WAAS) when the Garmin rep said they will give a big trade in for my old GPS towards a new GTN. I asked what they do with the trade ins and was told they refurbish and update to WAAS and then sell them. I asked if that means they plan to support the WAAS GPS430 into the future and they said yes. A second rep confirmed this. I now plan to upgrade my GPS to WAAS as the least expensive solution plus I understand how to use it!

Jim Butcher

Not sure how many 430Ws there are out there...

...but it has to be 1.7 boatloads. Including in military aircraft. I suspect they will soldier on (so to speak) for many years.

I was looking at the new Garmin GPS at OSH to replace my old GNS 430 (non WAAS) when the Garmin rep said they will give a big trade in for my old GPS towards a new GTN. I asked what they do with the trade ins and was told they refurbish and update to WAAS and then sell them. I asked if that means they plan to support the WAAS GPS430 into the future and they said yes. A second rep confirmed this. I now plan to upgrade my GPS to WAAS as the least expensive solution plus I understand how to use it!

Jim Butcher

Back