What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Product Announcement: GPS 175/GNX 375 IFR Navigators (3/25/19)

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are extremely excited to announce our new GPS 175 and GNX 375 as the latest addition to the Garmin product line of touchscreen IFR navigators.

The GPS 175 IFR GPS navigator provides WAAS/LPV approach capability to your aircraft in an affordable, compact design that saves weight and panel space.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577202
HWqlpGwUHI_ASAjkEzQtzMKRNLR1h1Xe7P9BjGpnyAv-qhVeB4tgRnjMbVi_CLfTaYFgIJEdw3Ia6pF_lvXVRvFupuz0kZB2LzoIMD05k-aVg0S0e-HoY_cMY6-oSYJO1n9AZdufrXMzKu39bWiQHO3iXvEbsecjBMkI8lJbyvscEfVXz70_5f4sHUfyY_3bScBM9rtdIrXkz0FXffR3NeROcb25s_il7gpEu0o6_d_uUAWvd6_CdtRMWn3H3rwslvdk4OeG9fm1OQKrIE6Z32I8Dp6cSKejKvJKd0zGEcoCPnRe-1mniKO1a4a6gABTDDGJZKUrVg_PrBzyZ-2u-d8kKcpJaGonka4ONehM1qxSafz7BtGiQFQOElbNizlJf1f3feikXLepuTjmty-Ghb0krZMLc2k8uyUZISsZfjqMAwP9CbLYViGIGOtQqVyHvGTPKv4-VEcI6zZcJA0--ZnYpL1rbtXAD_Pox8IY-GYtx46rIvk84yg4jL3YZaZyB4ulUCt7kSde0eOGjfy8HCdQ2H7lnyMKbOTYVWlERbap-Vh0eIOrfF4ntq-yR2mKtfdg21TlVQkJZXiCIs3AXtax0SsnTwPTa5IU_Lm7LIYEzA3sK03XwO3TNI_AMAuEUakYhDHmQNP_U23Tjozd45cWUVCONa05xsw6W082v1qH1tmNGd8k23M9v1EqfwuOk2xpNQWsn3QMJgl0o8OW0JQ=w652-h350-no

The GNX 375 builds on the features set of the GPS 175 and includes a built-in transponder providing ADS-B Out compliance and dual link ADS-B In.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577174

T_7oAzJWVEf0ABVbL_LLkNVrIsJ95GJgzmWjGo5vevbrGu2Y07c5eW3Mx2PmgipkertE5X47xl-ABmBRykwQ7wiHp-f-WsCGTijeeUk8uNMA6NDkx97HjD-rmPYOOK2H84xu4EDCEjHWhE6UIChbFqyTpUJlhxcim6sQwikUxvdd_NQRE84_jhB2V2ZeEPzfOigkQE0caJAby7iDzfrKJcUzXvzRXd_68cEm8d7gpIcz1l3SszxEuX8HfFaf_ZAgkokodyae9J9mnaDdSEiItzEcYYEYyMKwxFQuqNZTS8prxBonXi1C5lnyCDJ7k982rjFzLU5-YdrT4rFGblLoLpWg7Zia6fASQZ9rx8yHAMOBIiEm9Vv1wIeDyUjCgpe63B9FBT_OfLhTALyEikfIiqbLSqH7arLXaCU_6F4MQ94v75BfTOmNe7iWCgq0kcfqjFFtCQWBfpJ4w-ZvJfU0j5NQwuhBOA9YPrnszELbvCyARalYbt6VBd28L40mVIrnDmdhxW7KOOutitUX8aILDfnk4tDacEbx8byYKF-0oYrfXShEHtTNN4DcJyLO4lvFWwalez_47UWxqotMSnopHNsjmUxW3FIJ3VI3b3C806z9u_LM6Hkwt9FhrIcoD1DsY2L7rfn6zCFMGxdYWsusmeZ4kpwFUkWBsHZ31X9QhDt9FukTY2abM7BSs9faOmP8RaFTe6q6D_dzr29XKNaH5sI=w652-h304-no

The GPS 175 and GNX 375 offer a beautifully blended user interface with a dual concentric knob and a touchscreen. The touchscreen allows for quick data entry and key features such as graphical flight plan editing while the knob allows for quick page switching and an alternate means of data entry. For those of you with experience in the Garmin GNS series or G3X systems, the page selection via the outer knob will make you feel right at home.

These navigators are filled with the Garmin features you have come to love such as FastFind which simplifies flight plan entry by applying predictive logic to suggest airports and waypoints using current GPS location, and Smart Airspace which makes it easier to identify pertinent airspace on the moving map. The addition of SafeTaxi® airport diagrams display runways, taxiways, Fixed Based Operators (FBO’s), hangars and more relative to the aircraft’s location on the airport surface. The design maximizes usability of the 2-inch form factor by use of a high-resolution display which covers almost the entire vertical dimension of the unit.

GNX 375 Screenshot of weather overlay on map
6vK7x9JoIYrcAMavEq1zGNg3N6AF3YRbA38SqHp02N1CCO_0QNqh9hgcMTT6t5eUkqvWMbsqf_tL2ojHNDFN2ljfO1ALXP_r_7PlDoKZo3H3h5JVpRoE49vG2ka_kG2aSxbSX_b_fdAtD_-uTYlSlqxx35tONs_u7fXbI-XPhM6NPAGveojvKCkLDlKQ5fYf2smVnrGcXV1emboL1UY3evfnYTL8Py-KVg-Y2Lzjl-WVuvyiQpSt1KPUscpTZm-X17unr4A-q-KnXyVq4pSnNRgAn3Lt73f4yBZ9SJb8InFl_QTgly28HzFUUofwE7jAYSXRnsSGRZ0bWgsDbqiBDkaVcVlwziyAdAhHYYZjn04tcnio1qSywxKzmHpdjwHbhT6sMa6fEV5O2sU0dXgpUb621Q40JemiV9BNuFd5MfLeAHI-zxXtemQYyuoV4VfjqGymcIULIcxxitWk1LTX_2etx0o0rHki0mNebYgb5rxCB7X3uNkqjQF89cYi-FMKfqN0bThcDDXYEcdDss6oJIoHPjMJ1oDYiOcT85uut4tn9Qj6855_aQdHUUGgJq4CW9iBIF-3yA4rIBNdwINiB4LIKvYmzoP746H7mbcybtSQ0ephQDSGplN1lzQLr3tdBwf-aJipUqocjGPoFGg7bp7QqLg-viLni3ndPKFAsPc54zvZmxLne7eJOAW3d9YmgWGdeHaMLaMB5BRXcDuosLk=w732-h240-no

GNX 375 Screenshot of SafeTaxi
6NNLiAfBEiuaCyhuQAVAUaAiuJ-aOPBDmoACh4mT1hpRI8tNqYzwpknfrZjeAZelUVKj0_GBPl4pryyY9J33bGkRDDr2Ifez5zQSCnp8V7NbFIFkrBjR0i_Cd4IEpoxDwTSCuCvOqLkdLbYfdC8ivcCN2gHT19vjLOXgQF0RZOI3d0r0rIzdj4MePOTNhCZJwhhdx5w98aS3HwvgNAK4wOEJFW25BZKh-JorbdRYKafRATUFULwy4l5ORwN0NYiQGp-B4UBGt50qGMDAom4NrVPAiyJj3HxlrDMLTHdvXcMg94GiwzAy2Le_TqYHayacTFLBMFbmSSPL91vceZKTflFU0kea-R8mh60swof5LACEv-GtECzQ3VSOnkuoMqNoPDb8xGwrpK5p9oHpMFCGP0F6ZsCZaNpk_sJYgklSRViVWO0-HdL2T7l85OymXBH9A_KBdWgAeZVBKvQ8EwzHGEwwmgxW1k1pb6CVOU1icx3cKf6s-Ken46Tz1XCTnTmtSMlJEbzQyaNS9IgZzuwYdnQTWVKNvWA1e4hwIdFcqNTOeaZzL0MGYnDJAjg9AWyx4cEnFqy83K-uOvaqMv-659J-GiERjJ5-RBAVxlESvaCY9iX-dCq9M81RaSzPV0MKIyZCrvlUtJ4t2F4By9l7Aatos1yLP8R979TvLdYoSSVlEfl_a2vFE8HDStd-BXO4O3H-Esdp9Oi2hPH8E9PnZck=w732-h240-no

With a MAP price of $4295 including GPS antenna, rack and connectors the GPS 175 is designed to fit your budget. Making room for the GPS 175 in your stack is simple with the slim 2-inch vertical form factor. With a behind panel depth of under 7 inches, installing the GPS 175 in your panel requires minimal space. At a total weight including rack and connector kit of only 1.9 pounds, the decision to include an IFR Navigator in your panel has never been easier.

The GNX 375 has a list price of $7995 including GPS antenna, rack, and connector kit. The GNX has a behind panel depth of 9 inches, over an inch shorter than the GTX 345. At only 4.4 pounds including rack and connectors, significant weight savings is available by combining the IFR navigation function with your transponder. This combined functionality also saves installation time by reducing the number of wires and total components required for installation. By providing both ADS-B In and Out in one unit, the GNX also requires only one monopole antenna.

The GPS and GNX integrate seamlessly to the G3X Touch system using a GAD 29 ARINC adapter. The G3X Touch overlays the flight plan from the navigator on the large moving maps in the 10.6 inch and 7 inch displays as well as deviation indications on the Primary Flight Display (PFD). When paired with the GNX 375, the ADS-B traffic and weather can be displayed on the G3X Touch System and the transponder in the GNX can be optionally displayed and tuned via the G3X Touch system.

Built-in Connext® cockpit connectivity gives you the benefits and efficiencies of a wireless cockpit, enabling wireless flight plan transfer via Bluetooth® to and from compatible portables and mobile devices running the Garmin Pilot™ and FltPlan Go applications. GPS position information and back-up attitude can also be used by compatible products. Because the GNX 375 has an integrated ADS-B transponder and dual link ADS-B In, pilots can also view ADS-B traffic and weather on compatible mobile devices and portables.

The GPS 175 and GNX 375 units have received TSOA and are expected to start shipping in April. A free Garmin GPS 175/GNX 375 trainer app is also available for download on Apple mobile devices, which allows customers to experience the feature set of these navigators. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/garmin-gps-trainer/id1454577309

Thanks,
Levi Self

Last edited:
Holee cr@p! All of a sudden I?m really glad that I?ve delayed picking a solution for ADSB.... this is awesome. I want one...

Interesting product developments indeed!

How much commonality is there between the 650 and 175 software versions?

I ask because we know it has taken several iterations for the 650 to achieve some of the navigation functionality that was available in older navigators like the GNS480. I'm wondering if the 175/375 units have their software baselined on the current 650, or whether they are a separate stream that will go through a similar iterative process to reach full functionality?

Love it!

I also would like to know how these units compare to the 650/750. Do they offer the same features, but in a smaller, lighter unit, without the big screen interface?

The GPS 175 should be compared to a GTN 625, as the GTN 650 has a built in NAV and COM which makes it a completely different product.

The level of performance and features is largely the same with a few key exceptions. The GTN works better when you have dual navigators as they will share flight plan with the other navigator. Also the GTN has VNAV and while the GPS 175 has VCALC. I haven't done a complete side by side comparison and there may be some other minor differences.

The GPS 175 also has a smaller display, but is still a very capable IFR navigator.

Thanks,
Levi

With a MAP price of $4295 including GPS antenna, rack and connectors the GPS 175 is designed to fit your budget. Making room for the GPS 175 in your stack is simple with the slim 2-inch vertical form factor. With a behind panel depth of under 7 inches, installing the GPS 175 in your panel requires minimal space. At a total weight including rack and connector kit of only 1.9 pounds, the decision to include an IFR Navigator in your panel has never been easier.

Levi,
All of the press releases I have seen price the 175 at $4995. Which price is correct?

Hi Scott,

The list price of the GPS 175 is $4,995, while the minimum advertised price is set at $4,295. This unit carries both a list and MAP price as do many of the experimental products.

Best Regards,

Brad

Does this give you the capability to replace a GDL39 for ADSb IN and display weather and traffic via Bluetooth on an iPad?

Garmin Pilot and Foreflight?

What is implied but not clearly stated is that the GPS 175 can be purchased "over the counter" even for installation in certified aircraft. The over the counter units typically have both a list price and a minimum advertised price.

The E-AB world has some exceptions as you can purchase a GTN and other items which cannot be purchased over the counter, except by E-AB customers.

Thanks,
Levi

Does this give you the capability to replace a GDL39 for ADSb IN and display weather and traffic via Bluetooth on an iPad?

Garmin Pilot and Foreflight?

If you have a GNX 375, it contains the ADS-B receiver and bluetooth. So, yes, if you buy the GNX 375, you would not need your GDL 39. The GPS 175 does not contain an ADS-B receiver.

Thanks,
Levi

New panel planning

So it seems that if you dont mind giving up vor/ils recieving this is quite a savings from a traditional gtn 650 /gtx 45 panel. Can you explain the difference between vnav and vcalc? Anything else lost by going with this gps over the gtn650 besides cost, screen size and weight?

What support are you looking for from a GPS?

If you look at the Interfaces page it lists autopilots that it is compatible with. The GMC series is not listed, nor is the G3X touch which I believe is where the autopilot functions are actually handled.

I just wanted to make sure it is supported. This product is something I was hoping Garmin would release, only its better than I imagined. :)

If you look at the Interfaces page it lists autopilots that it is compatible with. The GMC series is not listed, nor is the G3X touch which I believe is where the autopilot functions are actually handled.

I just wanted to make sure it is supported. This product is something I was hoping Garmin would release, only its better than I imagined. :)

Well the GMC is just a dedicated control pad for the G3X or G5 based autopilot. The AP is inside the EFIS not the GMC.

The G3X Touch and the G5 are listed as supported for navigation and that is all it takes to make their AP compatible. The GAD-29 ARINC interface will likely still be required for full support since typically GPSS and GPSV is done over ARINC.

Last edited:

Remember, most likely that compatibility list is focused mainly for the Cert'd folks (who don't use the same A/P we do). As Brian previously noted, the GMC already doesn't directly interface with the GPS, it does it through the EFIS. No reason this would be any different than the GTN in that regard.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

The person I talked to today (garmin distributor) was just learning about them himself but was sure it worked with a Gmc 507 and their autopilot.

I'm sure g3expert will chime in here soon. He's very helpful on these topics and always willing to answer questions. His customer service, makes garmin in my opinion, couldn't ask for a more helpful and patient person.

Last edited:
YUP!

Holee cr@p! All of a sudden I?m really glad that I?ve delayed picking a solution for ADSB.... this is awesome. I want one...

I've been waiting too! But still waiting...you never know! :cool:

BTW...I've added these to the Panel Designer for your panel designing pleasure...

Looks like the GMC series of Autopilot controllers are not supported? Is that correct?

Hello Darin,

Both the GPS 175 and GNX 375 work great with our autopilots for EAB aircraft.

I have been flying with a GNX 375 in my G3X Touch homebuilt for several months and love it.

They also work great great for those that have G5 systems. Here is an example setup that uses the Aera 660 as a "helper display" for full time display of traffic/weather and flight plan/approaches while you use the GNX 375 display for other things.

8KOaQ342nPpjEUjfOMGC13ZbHF3efDpSLZRHl60K-iEd62iHVCPz8Cd8f8TpinwJHYdjRBdBGE3QPftHiT7U1Lv9NQaOUlIHrzuQR5jFa0qO1uEN4cI_k5JAOtC0P7_OGS7jKfZLzl8Psa1IhGQGjIgLTQuXi9ee3pFwzUOr6U75lkp37z-QlrP3bwExsQkuGrmQ92F-S10POXwUYt39cgDSZZgOpXnK-DN56cSi9FqDHML7odeo31gc_uh6h0oRxL3N-Hm0FEXGZ6ur3EacHKLuKwQUnI2zHGg2YRO7btntyKMwbhR5bfoLfA0AAJG0VCb-BKvxgN5Nrm4Y5ZPoGLFYDzUov8dzOarBopiNBSxgFugXln5ee5gqODmXLLqhhmRwPb0yITeun7v2hqdJeFRn5vu4MP_hBqzDdP8FeOdBOcfkQlXCjAgdk_4HEnUlkn52m5dBMT9mF0CH_4OaEr7t92zQQDfu2tuTWmLSg-lMEu8zWKEeDQlFaUvT1jm_m8bTfP13Mknx_QBdtzR4qvJIhFNLzFBMsILIzJb_mjSTMl-RlDs4b21gl4r8hxIUhMtxl7DYJErrs39n7UaG8YhawBQ-tKzF6vZGHNBqr_uNar1uRavj7uJ1ux30E9ROXYSDhz3M3Z06PHw90qvDFQum5OvnY1umpJt9PAFWKr0Zer09QTcs4a7A5gMKP2tyNZrR71HPbhcoFN8V4rTBHMb43S-ldofOdzoXTW58bNdJKYU=w700

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
3D CAD available

Great news Levi!

Question... is there a 3D CAD model available so I can package it into my SolidWorks assembly?

I see depths are:
  • GPS 175 6.25"
  • GNX 375 10.85"
  • GTN 650 Series 11.25"

Last edited:
GNX650 alternate

So will the GNX375 married to the GNC225 be a viable alternate to the GTN650? This gives VOR capability and a panel mounted radio.

Sun-N-Fun

I am now even more excited about going to Sun-N-Fun next week. I cannot imagine the timing is coincidental :D The Garmin booth is going to be 10 deep this year.

So will the GNX375 married to the GNC225 be a viable alternate to the GTN650? This gives VOR capability and a panel mounted radio.

It would seam that a GNX375 married to a GNC225 would be a viable alternative to a GTN650 and a GTX345.

I presently have a Garmin GPS 155 TSO unit in my panel with a GMA 340 audio panel above and an SL 30 just below the GPS. The question is will the new GPS 175 fit in the area vacated by the GPS 155 without having to move the units above and below the '155??

I presently have a Garmin GPS 155 TSO unit in my panel with a GMA 340 audio panel above and an SL 30 just below the GPS. The question is will the new GPS 175 fit in the area vacated by the GPS 155 without having to move the units above and below the '155??

I think this is the intention to be able to fit where the 50/55/150/155/300’s are installed.

I found this in the news realease:

“Designed to replace earlier-generation products such as the iconic GPS 150/155 series, the GX 50/55, as well as the KLN 89/90/94 series, aircraft owners won’t have to make significant panel modifications to accommodate the GPS 175/GNX 375. ”

Last edited:

Hello Noel,

Yes, according to the 2 installation manuals, both of these 2" navigators (the GPS 155 and the GPS 175) use roughly the same vertical rack space.

Thanks,
Steve

From the description of the 375, this could be a direct replacement for a non adsb transponder such as the 327. How would the size match up from the space vacated by the removed 327?

From the description of the 375, this could be a direct replacement for a non adsb transponder such as the 327. How would the size match up from the space vacated by the removed 327?

GTX 327...from https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/124#specs
Physical dimensions 6.25"W x 1.65"H x 8.73"D (15.9 x 4.2 x 22.2 cm)
Display type digital
Weight 3.1 lb (1.4 kg)
Transmit power 200 watts nominal
Transponder type mode A/C
Squawk code selection push-button

GNX 375 from https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577174#specs
Unit bezel height: 2.02" (51.0 mm)
Unit bezel width: 6.25" (159.0 mm)
Unit depth with connectors: 10.85" (276.0 mm) (measured from face of aircraft panel to rear of connector backshells)
Unit weight: 3.2 lbs (1.44 kg)

David,

According to the Garmin website, the GPS 175 is for LPV type approaches. LPV/APV approaches don't meet the ICAO and FAA precision approach definitions, which apply mostly to localizer and glideslope transmitters. The precision approach definition also carries a lot of documentation, definition, and cost with it, so the FAA and ICAO adopted the LPV/APV definition, so they could build new approaches and not be burdened with the cost and paperwork. They can still take you down to 200' with 1/2 mile vis minimums.

Read this. It should explain it to you. APV is the same as LPV from what I gather. I would also gather VCALC is LPV.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to...nce-between-lpv-and-lnav-vnav-gps-approaches/

Hope that helps.

Brian

David,

According to the Garmin website, the GPS 175 is for LPV type approaches. LPV/APV approaches don't meet the ICAO and FAA precision approach definitions, which apply mostly to localizer and glideslope transmitters. The precision approach definition also carries a lot of documentation, definition, and cost with it, so the FAA and ICAO adopted the LPV/APV definition, so they could build new approaches and not be burdened with the cost and paperwork. They can still take you down to 200' with 1/2 mile vis minimums.

Read this. It should explain it to you. APV is the same as LPV from what I gather. I would also gather VCALC is LPV.

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to...nce-between-lpv-and-lnav-vnav-gps-approaches/

Hope that helps.

Brian

I think there was a misunderstanding here since VNAV and VCALC are unrelated to LPV approaches.

I'd really like to get an explanation of the difference between VNAV and VCALC.

Thanks,
David

VCALC Demonstrated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn_pLClzHJM

A description of how to use VNAV:
https://flightlevelsonline.com/2018/garmin-tips-and-tricks-27-vnav-comes-to-the-gtn-650-750/

More stuff on VNAV:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=164885

VNAV demonstrated: (sorta)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11tmUcvrwKo

Some differences in the two and how to use VNAV same as VCALC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyztu17FiQ

Last edited:
Just for reference, how does the vertical height of the screen compare to a GNS 430?

The GNX 375 is 2.02" high, and almost the full height is screen.

The GNS 430 is 2.65" high, but the screen does not use the full height. So are the screens close to the same height?

Plus radios of course.

I have radios. I need adsb now so I suppose I could replace the transponder with the gnx 375 and then swap out 2 of steam gauges with the G5?s. A lot easier and cheaper way to upgrade my adbs and get better g-s capable of ifr....

G3Xpert - Obviously you can't speak for GRT, but I know that my GRT Sport SX is compatible with the Garmin 400 series navigators via ARINC adapter. Is there any reason to think that the 175 wouldn't also be compatible? If so, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. Thanks!

Chris

It looks like the Bluetooth supports interfacing to iOS running FltPlan Go, but not ForeFlight. Is that correct?

Back