What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retirement Area

dweyant

Well Known Member
The wife and I are just starting to think about locations to retire.

We love Texas, but the property tax is getting insane...

I like the Tennessee, Georgia area and that is on the list of places to check out.

If you know of any nice airpark communities could you please let me know?

grass or paved is fine.

We would like to spend the next year or two making weekend trips to check out some places, then find some land to build on eventually for retirement.

Thanks,

-Dan

Hey Dan, I live on Signal Mountain just outside of Chattanooga. Several of my friends have their own strips in the Sequatchie Valley. You might want to check out this valley. Lots of farm land for sale and nothing more beautiful. The towns of Dunlap , witwell, and pikeville are in this valley.

Last edited:
Don?t give up on Texas

Property taxes will depend on the city/town, so it pays to shop around. Do a Google search of Texas Airparks, then talk to those local realtors.

NC...??

There are several nice Airparks in NC, at least 4-5 near me in central NC. I have lived in one, and visit the others frequently.

Georgia Airparks

I'm based at KFFC, Falcon Field, Georgia. 25 Miles south of Atlanta in a golf community. We have over 117 members of the Falcon RV Squadron based at KFFC with over 43 flying RVs with tons of social and Squadron activities.

Within a few minutes of our field are numerous fly in communities. Alexander Memorial (Peachstate) GA2, Flying N at Luthersville, Mallards Landing at Locust Grove, Cedar Ridge and Brookbridge at Brooks, Kinley, Big T at Senoia, and others.

Fly over to KFFC and get a tour! Plenty to chose from!

Coastal Georgia?

Eagle Neck (1GA0) is a nice private, paved strip near where I live outside Savannah. Lots of history along with summer heat, humidity and sand gnats :D

We presently live in North Alabama and would like to move a few miles north into Middle Tennessee after we retire. I can't specifically recommend an airpark community in Tennessee although I believe there are some near Nashville.

I will tell you that if you plan to buy land to build your own runway, do your homework. There are some Tennessee counties whose commissioners have enacted laws which forbid building a private runway on personal property. I can't say anyone has contested this, so a "word to the wise is sufficient." I would think buying into an existing airpark would be the better option than getting into a legal battle with the "bluebloods" who rule the county.

Good luck. Check back in with us when you make the move. Your experience could be valuable to some of us.

Thanks guys, lots of good suggestions already!

You are correct that the property tax is set locally, but with no state income tax, it is going up at an alarming rate in most of the state. Mine has gone up 10% (legal max allowed) each of the last four years, and they have raised the rate on top of that...

-Dan

NC taxes..

While I haven't "studied" neighboring states lately, I believe we are slightly higher than SC and Ga, but not by much. I have lived here 36 years, and not even considered a move anywhere else. There is quite a bit of land in the region suitable for airstrip development, and a few airparks with lots available.In recent years at least 3 airstrips near me have been available/sold to new owners. A few Airparks worth looking near me are: Gold Hill, Marchmont Plantation, Hawks Landing, Long Island , and Miller Airpark. We live on Twin lakes airport, but its not an airpark. There is a VAF member on the forums here that re-located from Texas a couple years back that may advise on the pros/cons..look up Robert Anglin (RV8). If you decide to visit the area, I can accomodate you and have hangar space for an additional RV.

NC25

Check out Gold Hill Airpark, NC. We are less than an hour's drive to Charlotte or Greensboro. Taxes are not onerous and the weather allows flying all year long. 3000 feet of paved and lighted runway.

This is an interactive tool from Kiplinger Magazine to compare States and how tax friendly they are from a retiree's standpoint.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/reti...by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/index.php

Looks like the 5 most tax-friendly Southern (assume you prefer a warmer climate) States, in no particular order are Nevada, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Kentucky (although that seems a little too far North to be considered a warmer climate).

Don?t forget tax base for most of us include ?income taxes, sales taxes, capital gains taxes, personal and real property taxes.? Also check to see ?what types of income? are tax exempt or taxed at a reduced rate. In Oklahoma we talk about Texas being a ?low tax? state and with an envious eye to our south.

However in Oklahoma our property taxes are reasonable (for the most part), personal property taxes are effectively non-existent, and military, federal, teacher and state employee retirement incomes enjoys significant tax breaks. If you have a 50% military disability or have a significant non-military disability, have a certain percentage of Indian blood, and a few other criteria; then you can get a sales tax exemption card.

Nobody said taxes are ever fair or reasonable - just written to take someone else?s income to give it to another person?s benefit. By the way, don?t be a smoker in Oklahoma. Taxes on this sin product are horrendous. We also just increased our oil ?gross production tax? and our gasoline and diesel fuel tax (no increases on aviation fuel) to fund teacher pay raises.

I say all this basically to raise the point that government services cost money. The better the services the higher the cost. No location is perfect. I recommend your retirement location be based on family location, what you and your significant other consider important as to amenities and weather, and then figure how to get there. Taxes will always be extracted by government - it?s just how and when their collected that differs.

I thought this was interesting for the State of Texas. Not saying this is the best route but did not know this deferral was available. For retirees who own their houses outright and are on a modest fixed income, this might be a way to stretch the budget.

A homeowner who is 65 or older or disabled may qualify to defer their property taxes until he or she no longer owns or occupies the home as a residence. Property taxes continue to accrue during the deferral period and are assessed interest at the rate of 8% a year. Once the deferral ends, the taxes and accrued interest must be paid.

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/reti...tirees/index.php?map=&state_id=44&state=Texas

Last edited:
Thinking about buying a lot out at Piney Creek Airpark in Tennessee for my future retirement plans...

Definitely check out GE99 Heavens Landing in Rabun County GA! Nicest airpark in nicest area of the country!

Thanks guys, lots of good suggestions already!

You are correct that the property tax is set locally, but with no state income tax, it is going up at an alarming rate in most of the state. Mine has gone up 10% (legal max allowed) each of the last four years, and they have raised the rate on top of that...

-Dan

My taxes have more than doubled west of Boston in the past 10 years. 10% seems like a deal!

In Texas property taxes may not increase more than 10% per 3 years.

After age of 65, school taxes are capped. School taxes are the major part of all property taxes and most counties cap all property taxes.

After age of 65, school taxes are capped. School taxes are the major part of all property taxes and most counties cap all property taxes.

Our "budgets" can't change by more than 2.5% per year (prop 2 1/2), but that doesn't stop the loopholes from sliding through and the taxes going along for the ride. No caps on anything.

Enjoying the discussion in retirement options in warmer weather. Need to start thinking about it at some point, and appreciate the dialog.

Last edited:
Yeah Mike. It's on our short list, and my current RV was born in Texas! Enjoyed living in the Midwest and in the South for a period of time during my career. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting wonderful folks like Gary Platner at 52F who generously helped me with my transition training. A wonderful place to live, no doubt. (Well, for at least 8-9 months of the year!).

Brian

That isn't correct Mel.

The appraised value can go up as much as they want (mine went up 30% a couple years ago). They can however, only increase your taxable amount by 10% a year. I've never heard of the 10% every three year thing. If you have a reference to that please share. That would save me about $10,000 over the last couple years.

-Dan

Retirement area

Look at Big South Fork Airpark located at KSCX, Scott County, Tennessee. We are a thru-the-fence airpark on a county run public airport. Several options as to lots, housing, hangars. www.bsfairpark.com will give you a look and contacts for a visit. Good luck with your search.

Check out NC86.

It is a great little community just outside of Greenville, SC.

Email me and I'll send you pictures of my neighbof's house that is about to go up for sale.

Fentress Airpark-XS90

Located outside of San Marcos, Texas in Caldwell County. About 25 minutes (tollway) to Austin, 15 minutes to San Marcos, 40 minutes to San Antonio.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/110-Airfield-Rd_Fentress_TX_78622_M86911-39143

I am putting up two hangar homes on lots myself and a buddy own. 1 acre lots. These will be the first two to go up at this development. There is a skydive operation with a Caravan at the far north end of the field...mostly a Thursday-Sunday operation.

Close enough to Austin/San Antonio to do the fun stuff located there, but far enough out in the country to not have to deal with everything big population centers bring with them.

PM if you want more info.

Rob

Big South Fork

I visited Big South Fork and have talked with Bill numerous times. If I had the $400,000 to $500,000 it would take to buy a lot and build on I wouldn't hesitate one minute but alas I don't have that. What I really like about it is the houses aren't actually on the airport and a survivor of yours (natural causes) would likely be able to sell to a wider demographic down the road. If your an outdoors type there are a lot of things in the area you'd enjoy as well.

Back