What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Questions

08FATBOY

I have kit #162 and waited for Skyview. My first concern is the the instrument panel light and the a/p disconnect switch only illuminate when the nav/strobe switch is on.The strobe/nav and landing light work correctly. Secondly with the SL40, i can receive but not transmit. I can hear the click in my headset when i key the mike. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rod

I have kit #162 and waited for Skyview. My first concern is the the instrument panel light and the a/p disconnect switch only illuminate when the nav/strobe switch is on.The strobe/nav and landing light work correctly.
That's the way mine works as well ...

Secondly with the SL40, i can receive but not transmit. I can hear the click in my headset when i key the mike. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rod
Can't help with this part ...

The panel light and AP disconnect light work as designed. Evidently their reasoning is that if you want the interior lights on, then it must be dark outside and the nav lights should be on too.
Does the TX indicator on the SL-40 come on when the push-to-talk switch is pressed? Can you hear yourself talk in the headset (side tone)? Some builders found that the pilot and copilot headset or mike (I can not remember which) wires were interchanged.

The problem you talk about with not being able to transmit with the SL40, using the Skyview conversion harness, is exactly the same problem I had.

I found that the wiring on the dSub connector to the back of the intercom was not correct and I had to move some of the wires around.

To check the wiring you are going to have to pull the wings away from the fuselage to get to the access panels for the headset jacks. And, you will have to pull the cover off the avionics bay to access the intercom dSub connector. While looking at the electrical schematic you can do continuity tests to get the wiring into the correct positions in the intercom dSub connector.

rvbuilder2002 gave some good directions in a prior post. Here is a copy and paste of his directions:

Check continuity between the shorter of the two tangs on the pilot mic jack (the one that contacts the ring position on the mic plug), and pin 2 of the intercom Dsub connector.
Do the same with the copilot mic jack and pin # 3 on the Dsub connector.

You can see rvbuilder2002 entire post at: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82571&highlight=radio+transmit

With my setup the wires were also interchanged. Discovered it just before the first flight. Transmit annunciator on the radio but no sound. Plugged the headset in the right side (while seated on the left) and then everything worked o.k. Also the sidetone was switch off initially (Icom A-210).
After the first flight I switched the PTT wires, problem solved.

I think there was a swap of PTT wires with the conversion harness but I believe this had been reported here early on. I remember trying this while mine was still in boat state and I did have to swap the pins for the PTTs, otherwise (plugged in on the left side) I had to press the right side PTT to be able to transmit (and vice versa).

Back