What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baggage bulkhead

08FATBOY

I spoke to a builder at Osh that went to Sun River Expo and he sent me notes
about Vans offering 2 pc baggage bulkhead and floor panel. Anyone have any part numbers? Or can i get any builder modification plans?

Thanks Rod

Good news

This kit (and aircraft) just keep getting better - with thanks to Van's and all of those who are the pioneer builders.

Hmmm, wonder how many years it will be before someone builds an electric powered RV?

Seem to remember this coming up a month or two back. As I recall it was dismissed as urban myth.:(
DaveH

No myth. Rian talked about the baggage compartment modification at the RV12 Expo and simply said that Teen Flight (I think that is who they were going to use) was going to "beta test" the mod and then it would be released. I haven't inventoried my fuselage kit yet but will soon find out if that mod ever made it into production.:confused:

Garmin???

Re the baggage floor and rear bulkhead the answer I got from Van's in mid-August 2014 was:

"Unfortunately these parts are tied in with the installation of the Garmin G3X touch avionics package. The parts change you are asking about will most likely not be available until the Garmin avionics are available."

Quite what these parts have to do with the Garmin installation I don't know but there you are.

Jim D

Making any type of design change on the RV-12is a very involved process.
For this reason, an attempt is often made to group them together.
In this case, the rear floor cover design change is integral with the G3X release because it also incorporates a mounting for the ADAHRS.

The only structural change being released is to the aft baggage floor cover. It will allow removal of a portion of the floor without removing the tank (will require inspection of the right side aileron torque tube using a mirror).

Rear Floor Cover Design Change

"In this case, the rear floor cover design change is integral with the G3X release because it also incorporates a mounting for the ADAHRS"

Does this mean the SV-ADAHRS is being relocated from the Tail Cone to below the floor in the Fuselage?

When I got my SLSA last July the split bulkhead wasn't offered because it was 'still in engineering'. Vans-speak for 'it's coming but not available yet'.

I was told the intent is to allow access to the fuselage for maintenance and inspections such that removing the fuel tank to do this would no longer be required.

Other items I was told were 'in engineering' were the vernier throttle, the newer/better springs, dual screens for Skyview/Garmin G3x Touch, and adjustable rudder pedals.

Shame really, because I would have liked to have them on delivery. Now they'd have to be retro-fit.

"In this case, the rear floor cover design change is integral with the G3X release because it also incorporates a mounting for the ADAHRS"

Does this mean the SV-ADAHRS is being relocated from the Tail Cone to below the floor in the Fuselage?

No. Only the Garmin ADAHRS is being located there.

No change the the baggage bulkhead. Only the baggage floor.

No. Only the Garmin ADAHRS is being located there.

No change to the baggage bulkhead. Only the baggage floor.

I've always wondered why Vans didn't provide for inspection ports behind the bulkhead similar to the ones forward of the bulkhead. I've posted here before on the ones I added after certification. They save me a lot of work at annual.

I've always wondered why Vans didn't provide for inspection ports behind the bulkhead similar to the ones forward of the bulkhead. I've posted here before on the ones I added after certification. They save me a lot of work at annual.

Because they did vertical and lateral static load tests on the tail cone that were required by the ASTM, and chose not to add any.

Making any type of design change on the RV-12is a very involved process.
For this reason, an attempt is often made to group them together.
In this case, the rear floor cover design change is integral with the G3X release because it also incorporates a mounting for the ADAHRS.

The only structural change being released is to the aft baggage floor cover. It will allow removal of a portion of the floor without removing the tank (will require inspection of the right side aileron torque tube using a mirror).
Garmin G3X announced December 1, 2014. Any further word on the baggage floor modification?

(Sorry but I don't know how to get the OP credit for the quote.)

Last edited:
That is good news. Unfortunately I don't know what part number(s) to order and I can't find any revision(s) that would shed light on the subject. Any help is appreciated since I am at that point in my build.

Thanks for the link to modify the rear bulkhead. Called Vans today and ordered part #F00081 and part #F00083 split baggage floor covers.

ROD

I spoke to Sterling in tech support and he gave me the part numbers for split floor cover at the base of the rear bulkhead cover.

ROD

Besides the two F parts are there any nut plates, rivets, etc. included? Am surprised there is not a formal revision reflecting this "change" - or maybe I'm not surprised.:(

When i talked to Sterling, whatever section he was looking at took long to load up in his computer because of actual photographs. I should of asked for section number.

ROD

Will be calling Monday to get the SB parts for the wings and bering bracket. If the bulkhead is available I'll get it and post to this thread.

Just got the complete plans CD. Found the drawings and part numbers in Section 42C. Also the information for the tailcone stiffner for ADAHRS is in that Section. The tailcone stiffner information is on Vans Revision webpage but not the baggage compartment mods. Though I haven't ordered them yet the baggage comp. looks pretty straight forward once you get F-00081 and F-00083. Couldn't see anything esle needed other than some AN507C832R8 screws and AN526C832R8 screws.

Bulhead Cover

Surely if you are not going to remove the tank, the bulkhead cover also needs modification. I only see mention of the floor cover in these exchanges. Am I missing something?
Jim D

Am I missing something?

Maybe.... it depends on what you are willing / able to do.

Even when we did remove the tank and bulkhead for an inspection, we never crawled into the tail cone.
because of that, now we remove all screws above the level of the fuel tank, from the bulkhead. Then because the bulkhead is corrugated, you can roll/lay it back on top of the fuel tank and get a good look inside the tail cone.

The split baggage floor allows inspecting all of the control system (though it does require use of a mirror to check the portion that is located under the fuel tank... but very doable)

baggage bulkhead & cable tension assessment

Maybe.... it depends on what you are willing / able to do.

Even when we did remove the tank and bulkhead for an inspection, we never crawled into the tail cone.
because of that, now we remove all screws above the level of the fuel tank, from the bulkhead. Then because the bulkhead is corrugated, you can roll/lay it back on top of the fuel tank and get a good look inside the tail cone.

The split baggage floor allows inspecting all of the control system (though it does require use of a mirror to check the portion that is located under the fuel tank... but very doable)

Thanks for this information. Does rolling the corrugated bulkhead over the tank give enough space to do a cable tension assessment?

Slane

Back