What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rotax oil lines

08FATBOY

Is there a torque spec for oil line installation or a procedure to tighten the nuts.
Is this done with dry threads or would fuel lube be used? Thanks to all for your input!

ROD

Check the ROTAX Illustrated Parts Catalogue 79-20-00 page 4 item 15. 19 ft-lbs. most torque specs are in this document.

Oil line fittings should be dry when tightened. I know that doesn't always happen, but at least wipe them off if you spill. Oil lines should be in fire sleeve. Secure the fire sleeve with a Band-It clamp (#1 choice) or an Oetiker clamp. Do not wrench down too much with Band-It clamps with fuel or oil fire sleeve because you can tighten them so tight they will pinch off the underlying hose. You can use fuel injection screw type band clamps on oil lines. If you need to buy oil line the Rotax distributors have it, but they all have something different, but it all works.

No one should be using the screw type wormdrive clamp with the open serations that you buy in the hardware store for fuel or oil.

Cheap Clamps in general

No one should be using the screw type wormdrive clamp with the open serations that you buy in the hardware store for fuel or oil.

I hate the cheap wormdrive clamps. I replaced the clamps on my oil return lines on my Lyc with non-serated clamps. I also use the none serated clamps on my gear leg fairings.

You can find the non-serated clamps at West Marine (or other marine supply stores). I'm surprised that they are not more common in aviation. Prudent sailors double clamp all below water line fittings with non-serated clamps.

Back