What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a picture of your FINISHED RV-6/6A!

My RV

After a long bit of looking and shopping, RV-6A N331RD is on it's third owner, me. After about 10 hours and 20 landings I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to our first trip, and figuring out how to upload a picture.

I have a similar "bulge" on my purchased -6.
It is to make room for a large alternator pulley on a fairly large electro-systems aviation alternator.
The newer smaller alternators fit without the bulge.

It might also be needed even with a smaller alternator if you have the two inch shorter "constant speed" white cowl...

My -6

Well, just received a photo from a friend that he took during some formation practice. iPhone pic but still nice.

Since I have not yet posted in this thread, I thought it was time....

2i0esqq.jpg

And because the iPhone didn't pick up all of the aircraft's colors I am adding this:

nbb5g8.jpg

What a machine!!

My RV-6 N642TX

Finally got around to taking some pics of my new (to me) RV-6.

img57321.jpg

img57361.jpg

img57311.jpg

img57171f.jpg

The wheelpants will be re-installed before Oshkosh weekend. I've left them off until I've learned how to land the darn plane (I think :D).

BTW, nice to see all the red & white RV6's in the past few posts... Red is faster, ya know! :D ;)

Last edited:
Very professional

"Wow" that turned out great Jim. Did you design that paint scheme yourself ?
Very,very nice! :)

What about N94TB?

Dave,
I saw a vendor at Oshkosk last year that turned pictures into posters.
Also, my flying buddy is also a "sign" guy and has just invested in a new printer that prints pictures for signs , instead of cutting vinyl letters for banners or sign material. He tells me and has show me samples of the printer printing out fabulous looking pictures, plus he has a laminator to make it last longer too..
This is new to him, just in the last two weeks, so he isn't up to speed 100% yet but I'm already thinking of things to do to our RV's....
The machine prints on material that is ...I think 54 inches wide.
So you could check with local sign shops to see if they have this type printers.
Hope it helps.

Searched everywhere on google but had no luck finding a pic of 94TB...:(
Could you post one, so we can dribble?
Thank you!
Greg

18 Hours into Phase I

I spent the first 11 hours making sure the engine was broken in. Then 6 hours of lots of slow flight and landings. For 17 hours the airplane was hands off, centered ball all the way to 165KIAS at 6500MSL. After I quit patting myself on the back, I decided to put the wheel and leg fairing on. On a today's test flight I was about 1/4 ball out to the right at 130KIAS at 2500MSL, then about 1/8 ball to the left on an idle descent at 120KIAS. Looks like next flight will include a 8" balsa wood rudder trim wedge. I guess that's why we do Phase I. At least everything is finally bolted on and in place.

DSCN1154_zps104f5f7e.jpg

DSCN1155_zps1114d3ff.jpg

DSCN1160_zpsf152024f.jpg

Dave
RV-6 N225WD
Phase I
This airplane deserves a better pilot

Dave,
Very pretty airplane! Congrats on getting it "done".

You might want to spend some time "fine tuning" the leg fairings before adding the wedge. The leg fairings have been known to affect the aircraft in yaw. I've heard of guys using disolved crayons to do this. Put several drops of the crayon mixture (thin enough to flow, thick enough to not run down the fairings before you take off) on the gear legs and go fly. Compare the streaks left by the crayon on both sides of the fairings after you land, then tweak the fairings slightly, clean them off, re-apply the crayon and do the test again. Repeat until the streaks meet at the trailing edge of the fairing. This makes the fairings parallel to the wind flow and cancels any turning effect they may be generating.

Have fun with it, best of luck with the fine tuning, and again, congrats on a pretty airplane!

Last edited:
wedge

From my experience, an 8" wedge will be too much. You might want to start by re-fitting the fairings if that is when you noticed the difference. I also found that checking the adjustment of the flaps makes a difference. I raised my right flap 1/32nd of an inch and it made a 1/2 ball diff.
Jim Frisbie
RV-9A

Sittting on the grass strip at home

We really enjoy flying in and out of the grass strip at our house in Winnfield, LA. Life is good!
image_zpsf583700e.jpg

First Flight 1 Year Ago

Top of runway 19 our of La Cholla Airpark last year with Mel's 6 on short final to give chase for first flight. Since, 100+ hours and almost a year later the plane has been great fun to fly, just a unbelievable experience getting to this point!
EndoftheRunway_zpsfa062be8.jpg

4thFlightAugust31img2_zpsd87e662a.jpg

A great way to get to work with the other aircraft I work on:
RVinBoise_zps417cde55.jpg

Last edited:
Updated panel

Completed(kinda ;)) my 0-320 RV6 in 2004. Updated the panel from steam guages to a Dynon D180 and an IFLY 720 gps and went to dual P-mags in spring 2013. Up North Aviation cut the panel with CNC. Picture taken in front of hangar at Sundance Airport in Oklahoma City.

RV6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

CalvertRV6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

panel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

auto pilot

I wired it up to hook to the Ifly, but haven't tried it yet. It's just a matter of plugging a usb into the side of the iFly. The other end of wire has a dsub connector with the auto pilot wires.

Been down for a while trying to get paint done. Very simple white with some parts polished.

Last edited:
This is a picture of my friend, Dan Grimm's plane (2nd owner). It was finished in ‘02 by Wayne Ray, has O-360, c/s, DJ’s Interior, 570 hrs & going strong. Got Milk?

Cowbird_small.JPG

LARGE Full size photo (if anyone wants more detail).

http://vincesrocket.com/Cowbird.JPG

(Cow graphics by Flyboy Accessories.)

Last edited:
Vince,
That picture really mooves me, but a tip over in that one would be an udder disaster! Sure hope they keep the rubber side down!

Yes, we're going to milk this one for all it's worth... :D

Don't groan too much guys...somebody has to do the cheesy jokes...

Last edited:
i just dont get it, the guy must of been a farmer and in love with his prize cow. each to his own. mooooovn on.

This is a picture of my friend, Dan Grimm's plane (2nd owner). It was finished in ?02 by Wayne Ray, has O-360, c/s, DJ?s Interior, 570 hrs & going strong. Got Milk?

Cowbird_small.JPG

LARGE Full size photo (if anyone wants more detail).

http://vincesrocket.com/Cowbird.JPG

(Cow graphics by Flyboy Accessories.)

Did the udders that strap under the rear fuse come with the plane? I remember this plane parked at OSH with the udders and milk stool. Quite the riot. :D

Ed,

There's nothing to get. It's just unique. I've never known anyone to confuse Dan's plane with anyone else's plane. It stands alone and is never lost in a crowd.

I've even considered painting my new RV-6 like a zebra just so the cowbird has some company. On second thought, naaaaaa. I'll paint mine red and white like every other RV out there so that MY plane is the one that blends in with the herd. :)

Yes, we still have the udders and milk stool. They make me laugh every time they are installed at a fly-in.

Rv6A Calgary

rv%20in%20bahamas_zps0jwpsrcn.jpg

15ple35.jpg

Rv6A built by Murray Lawton
O-360A1D , C/S,

Weather not great for flying in winter in Calgary so I painted a picture of the plane from our trip last year to the Bahamas. Painting is from a picture of us parked at Hawksnext, Cat Island , bahamas.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF!

And none of you clown noticed it was Andrew's first post:rolleyes::D

Hey Andrew welcome to the good ship VAF.

Nice looking plane too;)

call sign????

so, do you call in ...... " arrr veeee foxy fox sierra tango"????

or only when you wife is co-pilot? :D

(...and just what the heck IS making that tow bar stand up?
no...really.......is that a bungee to the spinner?????)

and just how deep IS that hangar...I see a tip up, and a tailwind or something BEHIND your plane?

Fabulous paint job, great craftsmanship, nice Sensenich prop, super large and clean hanger and a great idea to use a bungy cord to hold up the tow bar instead of having to exercise the back muscles to pick it up off the ground. I am going to use that idea.
Great looking plane. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the site.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A N942PT
Phase one completed.

Back