What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Dies are killing me...

mullock

Hey guys I am struggling a bit with my flat and cupped rivet dies because they don't like coming out of the squeezer. I spend more time fighting the dies than building some days. Is this common? I got my dies with a kit from Isham they work fine but I was thinking maybe the shaft size is a little off? Happens on both the Cleveland Hand Squeezer and the pneumatic squeezer. Looking for advice, I am willing to buy another set if you have some suggestions.

There is a little metal spring on them, you could squeeze it a little with some needle nose pliers, or remove it altogether and use an O-ring. I believe my Brown tool dies have an O-ring and they come in and out great.

I’ve had this happen with a few of my dies. By tugging on the die I’ve been able to remove it just enough to fit a small, thin, flat screwdriver between the die and the shaft on the squeezer that holds the die. Once the screwdriver is in between the die and squeezer, it’s fairly easy to use the screwdriver as a lever to remove the die from the squeezer.

I use a wrench that fits the flat on the die holder, and vise grips with a rag to protect the metal to rotate and pull the die.

On the yoke (for my squeezers anyway) I push through with a punch.

I assume you mean the die in the ram, as the yokes usually have a hole drilled to allow using a pin punch to drive a tight die out.

Usually mine come out OK, but on the occasions where I really needed extra force, I took an old chisel and worked it between the die and the ram shaft, and twisted it to lever the die out.

I have noticed that some dies are more difficult than the others to remove; these are usually the ones with metal spring retainers rather than o-rings. However, I have seen occasional damage to the die shaft base (usually if I use the die in an unusual way to get at a rivet that is hard to get to), and then a touch-up on a tool grinder or Dremel helps.

Just pinch the metal spring a bit. It should loosen them right up. I have had to actually spread this spring clips out as they become loose over time.

There is just enough room to slide in the edge of a 6-inch scale. Rotate that and it moves up enough that you can grab it with your hand.

Works like a charm. I think I originally bought it for proseal filleting, but found it is perfect for coaxing a die out of the squeezer. The thin blade thickens up a bit near the handle, which is just enough to get the die started, then a little twist of the blade (at the thick end) and it pops right out.
In the aviation/cake decorating aisle of your nearest craft store.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 135
Back