What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to maintain plane during Coronavirus shutdown?

[email protected]

Well Known Member
Here in Los Angeles County, we've been ordered to stay at home, except for essential activities, until the Coronavirus pandemic is under control. I have decided that, for me, that means no flying. I don't criticize others who are flying. Indeed, a couple of flight schools in the area are still giving dual instruction. But I have decided that I will wait to fly, until we get the all-clear from medical experts.

I'm uncertain what to do to keep my Rotax 912 ULS-equipped RV-12 in good shape until I can fly it again. The NBAA advised pilots who are not flying to "exercise" their planes, and I interpreted "exercise" to mean doing a run-up periodically. However, I've also read and been told that running up an engine without flying it can do more harm than good.

My plane is in a hangar. The fuel tank is full. The oil has just been changed. And the battery is connected to a trickle charger. If I thought I wasn't going to be able to fly again for several months, I know there is more that could be done, but not things that I am equipped to do myself. So my question boils down to this: should I do a runup every week or so, or should I leave well enough alone so as not to cause damage where none now exits?

Last edited:
I would think flying your RV IS an "essential" activity. Took my wife down the Hudson VFR corridor today. Didn't see one other plane.

Maintaining currency essential .. go fly .. just stay away from people or mask up!

I've been practicing approaches, the only human interaction I have is with the fuel truck and we both have masks, gloves, and I have a bottle of alcohol mixed with water for cleanup afterwards. Also, staying upwind doesn't hurt :p

Jump in that bird, do the run up, and take a flight to KCMR or KSZP, buy some fresh fuel, and fly back home.

1x a week when the weather cooperates helps.

Here's where we flew yesterday.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N836BL/history/20200411/1752Z/KWHP/L 35.33201 -119.00169

back home. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N836BL/history/20200411/2032Z
There were a LOT of very nicely painted RV's in the EAA Chapter building in Bakersfield. Some of the best "show car" quality paint jobs I've ever seen, design wise, and color wise, on the planes there. Someone nearby is an outstanding artist.

What we saw.

https://youtu.be/f6_m7cdjdDg

Flying is practicing the ultimate in social distancing. You're almost never closer than 6 feet from anyone.

I am also almost dead certain I'm one of the "herd" that survived getting the Corona Virus head on in the middle of January, so my system can handle exposure. If you got sick with it, you probably noted how remarkably different your illness was to anything else you've ever gotten sick with. I'll probably take the test when it becomes available, to answer, without a doubt whether I am not already cleared of this as a health exposure problem.

Last edited:
X3. As a pilot, you maintaining your currency, qualifications, and competence represents an essential transportation task.

Since you said that for you, it means no flying, I respect that decision. It sounds like you have done about everything you can do to protect your plane for a month or so. Hopefully that will be as long as this goes.

I can't comment on the trickle charger not knowing what battery you have. Some say yes, some say no. With the P680 I have experience with, I would leave it off the charger until I was ready to fly again.

Good luck with this virus and spend time with your POH, manuals, and researching where you will be flying when you get the chance to again!

Not running a motor, especially one stored on the coast, is not a good thing. I respect your decision not to fly, but I?d suggest following whatever Rotax engine storage procedure there may be, after whatever time Rotax says to do it.

As long you have avgas in it, there should be little issue with it sitting for 30 days or so. Yes ground runs are more harmful than good. Fresh oil is good also, don't contaminate it with ground runs.

George

Tires and cockpit

Check tires are pumped up to correct pressure and clear the cockpit of anything that could cause mustiness while it is closed up, e.g. water bottles, cleaning rags, candy bars. It will be better for external surfaces also if it is clean of bugs, salt and grime.

I just flew
my 12, called ATC and asked this exact question" OK to Fly" he said 100% yes, so I'm not taking anyone , but for sure flying...
Happy Easter!

Almost

Since I was laid off a couple weeks ago I?ve seen almost every sunrise and sunset from my plane.Snowing today, I can?t wait till tomorrow

My outside time consists of doing my annual in my hangar (nobody else there so great social experience,😝), flying my Cherokee solo on the weekend locally, a weekly trip for groceries and two days a week volunteering at a bird refuge taking care of parrots. Since I?m retired military I shop on base. The base CO won?t let you through the gate without a mask. Much more organized and disciplined world on base.

If airplane is not to be flown, and travel allows easy visit, I would hand turn prop once/week. Maybe do Rotax ?burp?. Ceramic cylinder walls, I would imagine, act more like hard chrome than mild steel as far as corrosion is concerned.

I fly from a grass runway in northern Ohio and my plane sits in hanger from early Nov until April waiting for runway to firm up in the spring. Hanger has condensation with changes in ambient temperature. I keep battery connected to Odyssey charger 24/7 all year long. I hand turn prop every couple of weeks. I schedule Annual Condition Inspection for March before re-start of ops?

Hi All, in New Zealand we are under Martial Law and are in a total lockdown. Travel is restricted to essential services. Our CAA has banned non essential aviation. We would lose our licence if we flew our planes. So we have been lockdown for nearly four weeks. Our CAA has just issued a notice that we can apply for a permit to do essential maintenance to our aircraft if we can supply documentation that it is required. I have tried a number of google searches to see what Rotax recommends in regard to air running their engines and haven?t been able to find something I can submit. For example I have been told that Lycoming engine manuals state they should be air run for one hour minimum each month. Can someone point me to some documentation I could use to apply foe a permit to fly the plane please?

Thanks
Julian

Note to self: Scratch New Zealand off the list of possible retirement locations...

To the OP: you are part of the essential transportation infrastructure - you have a RESPONSIBILITY to maintain your craft and skills. Go fly.

Last edited:
Section 8.1 of the Operator's Manual addresses Engine Preservation.

Basically it says the cylinder walls won't corrode. The other suggestions are for "long out of service periods" to "protect the valve guides".

I have a 914 with over 1000 hours. I live in Michigan and based on a grass strip, so I normally don't fly from December until March or April. I always add Stabil to the fuel which is Mogas. My condition inspection is in Oct so the oil is pretty fresh. I disconnect the battery. In the Spring, I top up with fresh Mogas, connect the battery and go fly. This has been my procedure for over 10 years.

In Los Angeles I think you are fine with what you've done. When you get ready to fly, just burp it to check oil which will build some oil pressure prior to start. Then go fly:)

Jim Butcher

Back