What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 14 props

Van's recommends the 74" for the -14A and 72" for the -14 for ground clearance reasons. I was told that there was no appreciable difference in performance however I have no experience with either. I have not decided if I am going 72" or 74" with my -14.

Van's did not recommend the 74" for my 14a. I was told that there was no performance and it was recommended that I use the 72".

So in the end is probably does not matter.

Ground clearance is the best option in my opinion. I would doubt performance difference could be measurable.

I've got a MTV-9-B/183-50A (72" MT 3 blade composite) on order from McFarlane Aviation. Dave McFarlane is fantastic to work with. Learned that MT has done some research on the IO-390 and has some recommendations when using a composite prop with that engine.

FYI - McFarlane is now the US distributor or MT props has props in stock and has plans to expand. Also found that they are a supplier to Van's on various items.

I'd give McFarlane a call...costs nothing and you'll get good data.

Vans Special at the show

I timed the Lycoming and the prop for ordering at Sun & Fun. Typically Van's will run a "special" And last year to was free shipping for the motor if bought together.
So I went to see Jeff at the Lycoming booth and had him fill in the paperwork, because I wanted 2 PMags and to make sure I had it right. Then I went to the Hartzell booth and id the same.
I feel it was a good move. I am in the middle of assembly now and it seems to be going well so far.

And I did not questions what was needed and went with whatever Van's prescribed.

Already information and opinions on this you can search. 74 vs 72....74 is the ideal prop but has pilot performance limitations.
R

FYI, the -14 at level attitude with weight on the mains has 13? of ground clearance with a 74? prop.

72-74" prop

All the RV 7s, 8s and 14A I built weather tail wheel or nose wheel I used the Hatrzell 74" without any clearance issues. I understand the recommendation for the 72" on tail Draggers but the difference is so small it really doesn't effect anything.

All the RV 7s, 8s and 14A I built weather tail wheel or nose wheel I used the Hatrzell 74" without any clearance issues. I understand the recommendation for the 72" on tail Draggers but the difference is so small it really doesn't effect anything.

Do you think you got any appreciable performance increase with the 74" over the 72"?

Back