What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon SV GPS into ACK E-04 ELT?

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi Folks!

I have a Dynon SV System with a SV-GPS-250 antenna. I also have a ACK E-04 ELT.

I built a test device according to figure 14, Page 9 of the E-04 installation manual.

According to the SV System Setup Page, the SV provides a GPS signal with a Baud-rate at 32800 (-ish, i forgot the exact value and did not take notes, but it is way high).
The E-04 can manage different Baud-Rates and is set to 9600 by the factory setting.

Whilst testing, the LED did not flash but was permanently on.

What does that mean? GPS Signal coming permanently or not at all?
Anyone has the same setup and the same questions/issues?

i will ask the Dynon guys on Thursday during my visit of the AERO exhibition in Friedrichshafen (Germany).
i will also contact the ACK guys via Email.

i will post their answers here later on, but maybe one of you have the solution on hand anyway?

Thanks for your inputs!

cheers!

Hi Folks!

I have a Dynon SV System with a SV-GPS-250 antenna. I also have a ACK E-04 ELT.

I built a test device according to figure 14, Page 9 of the E-04 installation manual.

According to the SV System Setup Page, the SV provides a GPS signal with a Baud-rate at 32800 (-ish, i forgot the exact value and did not take notes, but it is way high).
The E-04 can manage different Baud-Rates and is set to 9600 by the factory setting.

Whilst testing, the LED did not flash but was permanently on.

What does that mean? GPS Signal coming permanently or not at all?
Anyone has the same setup and the same questions/issues?

i will ask the Dynon guys on Thursday during my visit of the AERO exhibition in Friedrichshafen (Germany).
i will also contact the ACK guys via Email.

i will post their answers here later on, but maybe one of you have the solution on hand anyway?

Thanks for your inputs!

cheers!

Yep have the exact same problem.
here is the video:

https://imgur.com/a/tbjieQI

Serial port baud rate on Dynon

The serial ports on the Dynon have adjustable baud rates. You could set the rate at 9600 if that is what the ELT needs. Just remember both IN and OUT baud rates will be the same if you use the IN on that port for something to the Dynon.

Last edited:
The serial ports on the Dynon have adjustable baud rates. You could set the rate at 9600 if that is what the ELT needs. Just remember both IN and OUT baud rates will be the same if you use the IN on that port for something to the Dynon.

Yes 9600 it is and still the same result. :confused:

Looks like the test is occurring inside a structure - have you verified that the GPS has acquired at least 4 sats? The GPS sends a data packet roughly once per second, and LED should blink at that rate. The line speed won't change the rate of the data packets.

I would also verify your wiring, but I'm sure that you've already done so.

GPS test lead from Pin 2 of the DIN connector - 300 ohm resistor - 2v 3mm LED(+) - LED(-) to aircraft ground.

Looks like the test is occurring inside a structure - have you verified that the GPS has acquired at least 4 sats? The GPS sends a data packet roughly once per second, and LED should blink at that rate. The line speed won't change the rate of the data packets.

I would also verify your wiring, but I'm sure that you've already done so.

GPS test lead from Pin 2 of the DIN connector - 300 ohm resistor - 2v 3mm LED(+) - LED(-) to aircraft ground.

For sure have the satelites here is the
photo:

https://i.imgur.com/0EwVzj2r.jpg

For sure have the satelites here is the
photo:

https://i.imgur.com/0EwVzj2r.jpg

Looks like you have a lock on 3 sats. Might need 4 or even 6 (although you do show a position and 3d diff.)

For the Dynon config, we'll assume the serial output line is configured to NMEA and 9600.

For the ACK connection, the Dynon serial output line needs to be connected to DIN pin 4 RS232 REC (input.) The GPS test line is connected to DIN pin 2 RS232 SEND (output.)

Dynon seems to want a shared ground between their display and the device. You can likely use the serial wire's shield to accomplish this.

Last edited:
My ACK is doing the same thing connected to Garmin G3x, checked wiring, baud rates, config etc. just get a steady light on the test setup with good satellite coverage. Interested to see what other say on this post.

Thanks for the follow up on your solution, I was aware that the test rig is polarity sensitive, I actually soldered up two of them, closely following the ACK instructions, I paid particular attention to the polarity as called out in the instructions. I will definitely try to swap the leads and see what happens on mine.

@ romanov: thank you so much for your investigations!
As the initiator of this threat, i am still fighting this problem.
Next week my project will return from the paint-shop. I will re-solder the LED and hope that this will solve this issue!

Thanks again!

I keep u posted.

I had the same issue a year ago! After a week of hand wringing and total confusion, I turned the testor around and had instant success! The sad part is this was my 3rd condition inspection! I got lucky and had the alligator clips connected in the right direction the first two times!

After taking a look at the ACK manual, It looks like if you wire the test rig up as shown in the manual using the photo as a reference for determining led polarity, you will wire it backwards. The manual shows the long lead on the LED as negative, this is backwards. I’ll go to the hangar this afternoon and hopefully get a good test by swapping the leads.

Back