What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Folding Bike

Jimbo54

I've read through many threads, and it seems the Brompton is the most compact bike. However, it exceeds my spending threshhold.
Amazon reviewers give high marks to the EuroMini ZiZZO Via -priced at about $300. Wondered if any RVers have experience with it and can comment as to how it fits in an RV-12. Thanks.

Bike Friday PakiT is the most compact lightest, 15lbs. Build in Oregon. About half the price of a Brompton, fits in a backpack. No, I dont own it, but on my list of most likely purchases.......

Someone did a spreadsheet on folding bikes in 2016 and posted it here on VAF. Pretty good way to compare....

That?s a timely thread. I sold my folding bike couple years ago and now thinking of buying again. What?s new and affordable these days?

IMHO, its not really whats new or affordable, its what can fit in your allotted baggage space. I'd like to carry two bikes, so I'm a bit ham strung there personally.....

EuroMini ZiZZO Urbano

Can anyone confirm that 2 EuroMini ZiZZO Urbano 20" bikes will fit in a -7 with a tip-up canopy?

Thanks in advance.

I used to carry two Dahon folders in my Cherokee for years. A while back in one of these discussions, it seemed that a Dahon Vitesse 7 speed internal transmission was a great choice. I bought one, have since sold my planes, and never rode it, in case someone chooses this bike, it is for sale.

Hi Jim,

I can confirm that my wife and I regularly take our two Brampton?s in the back of our RV 12. Also I have recently added an electric kit to my wife?s bike which added more weight and cost than I would have preferred.
I spent a lot of time researching the project as it was a hugh cost to pay not knowing if it would work.
At that time I was unable to find any other brand that would work.
The Brampton is an excellent bike to ride and the compact fold is what allows it to fit in the plane easily.
We can also fit two bags and a tent in the plane. Recent changes to the RV12 fuel tank and to the floor space between the two seats may not make it possible with later versions of the plane.
On the plus side I see the baggage capacity has been increased by 25lb. I normally have to leave some fuel behind.

Cheers
Julian 120316

cheap folding bikes.

Thanks rocketbob and GWZ for pointing out these 2 bikes.
After comparing here is what I came up with:

Citizen bike: Link here
- Folds a little smaller. 26x26x10 in
- 1lb less (21lb)
- has a belt drive which seems cleaner for a folding bike style
- single speed
- 16" wheels.
- maybe a better build quality? hard to tell.
- weight limit 220lbs
- fits in the small suitcase.
- $359 shipped

Vilano Urbana : Link here
- folds to 32"x25"x12" ( little bigger)
- 21.5 lbs
- chain drive
- single speed
- 20" wheels
- weight limit 200lbs
- $199 shipped ($159 cheaper then citizen bike)

And just for fun, I'm throwing in a electric assisted bike. Heavier, but if you don't like peddling.

Electric Bike SwagCycle EB-5: Link here
- folds 34.9 x 24.5 x 14.5 inches ; 37 pounds
- 37 pounds (heavy, but maybe you can remove the batteries?)
- 15 mile range on the battery
- single speed
- 14" wheels
- 36v 4.4 Ah Lithium-ion battery. 4-5 charge time
- weight limit 264lbs
- $499

Overall it seems like they are all pretty cool. Maybe the Citizen bike would fit in the back of a 6/7/9/12 easier? Don't know since I don't have one. But I've been looking around for a folding bike for a while.

Last edited:
Folding Electric Bicycle

I have a 2015 RV-12 SLSA and I'm thinking about purchasing a high end Tern S10 folding electric bicycle which weighs 50 lbs. If the bike fits I'll carry the battery in front but I haven't measured the RV-12 yet. The Tern S10 folds down to 15" x 32" x 30" so I'll measure the area this week sometime but I think it will fit. Anyone else carrying a folding electric bicycle in their RV-12?

Back