What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 stall horn adjustment

I have an RV12 SLSA. I have had trouble with my stall horn vein, someone bumps or bends it, then it gets out of adjustment. My question is this:
The stall horn is blaring in my ear at 60kts indicated, can I bend the vein to adjust? If so, which direction, (up or down) do I need to bend it so it warns me at a slower airspeed?

Bending the stall vane down will delay the relative wind from getting under it and lifting it. Sometimes bending the vane down causes it to bend upwards inside of the wing, thus contacting the micro-switch sooner, which is counter productive. You could also try adjusting the mounting bracket. If I remember right, only one screw has to be loosened, the one that goes through a slotted hole.

Bending the stall vane down will delay the relative wind from getting under it and lifting it. Sometimes bending the vane down causes it to bend upwards inside of the wing, thus contacting the micro-switch sooner, which is counter productive. You could also try adjusting the mounting bracket. If I remember right, only one screw has to be loosened, the one that goes through a slotted hole.

I seem to be having the opposite problem with my 2015 RV-12 SLSA. Recently the stall horn doesn't go off until the stall break, so no advance warning when practicing stalls. This is odd because it worked normally for the last 200 hours so I suspect that is was bent by a passenger.

Back