What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In Tricycle model, is the main wheel controlled by the pedals ❓❓❓

romanov

Well Known Member
In Tricycle model, is the main wheel controlled by the pedals ❓❓❓

z18ulFM.jpg

In Tricycle model, is the main wheel controlled by the pedals ❓❓❓ If it is where ecactly the mechanism specified in the manuals.

Thanks guys
Roman

The only "control" for the main wheels on any Van's RV is though braking and/or differential braking. That is accomplished through the rudder pedals. Pushing on the top of the pedals modulates the braking for the associated main wheel.

Hope that helps.

RV nose wheels are free castering. Steering on the ground is by rudder and brakes.

Yes, but it's probably not the best technique to use differential braking during takeoff roll. The rudder is all you need under 99% of t/o conditions.

Is it enough to hold it straight running during the takeoff?

No, it's not. You will need to hold the appropriate rudder to keep it center line -- it's not a hard skill to learn but there is considerable torque during the takeoff roll and it can absolutely catch you off guard if you aren't prepared for or expecting it.

No, it's not. You will need to hold the appropriate rudder to keep it center line -- it's not a hard skill to learn but there is considerable torque during the takeoff roll and it can absolutely catch you off guard if you aren't prepared for or expecting it.

Thanks, sound like a class I should take.
Any good link for more info?

Thanks, sound like a class I should take. Any good link for more info?

Most of us take some kind of transition training. I'm not sure what you'll have available in Israel but if you find yourself in the states there are a lot of options.

I like Mike Seagar, he's in Oregon near the Vans Aircraft factory. Cost is about $1200 or so and you will have a fun time learning how to fly and about RVs.

Most of us take some kind of transition training. I'm not sure what you'll have available in Israel but if you find yourself in the states there are a lot of options.

I like Mike Seagar, he's in Oregon near the Vans Aircraft factory. Cost is about $1200 or so and you will have a fun time learning how to fly and about RVs.

Sounds good.

Sounds good.

Not to discourage .. I think the RV-14A is an easy airplane to fly, however, it does take some adjustment depending on what you're used to.

I came from Cherokees and 172s and the occasional Cub and Decathlon. The transition training was a lot of fun, it definitely helped me enjoy my 14.

Last edited:
Back