What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dirty RV-12 Seat Cushions

MVPILOT

Well Known Member
I am the owner sole pilot of a 2015 RV-12 SLSA with under 100 hours and the pilot seat is filthy and evidently uncleanable after trying about 10 different cleaning agents. I have owned many luxury cars and never had this problem. I am getting ready to try and order a replacement seat cushion and asking for suggestions. No I don't normally fly with dirty shorts! :) I would post a photo but don't know how yet.

You could also have it custom upholstered with different material, or make a "foot pad'' so when you step on the seat you don't soil it.

What color do you need

What color do you need I have a set of gray with blue inserts in great condition. I just install leather custom ones.

Have you tried brake cleaner?

I used it to remove grease from seat belts - worked a treat. Apparently it's the same or very similar to the fluid used in dry cleaning. Would suggest trying on a very small area first, though.

Jack

What color do you need I have a set of gray with blue inserts in great condition. I just install leather custom ones.

Mine are grey as well and I'd be I interested in buying yours if they are available. I'm also interested in your experience having new leather seats made. Who made them, why did you change and how much if you're comfortable sharing that. I'm located in Bellingham, WA area.

No I don't normally step on the seat cushion although I have a few times when loading a folding bike in the back .

I'd be interested in which folding bike you were able to get into the back, I've got a Dahon but I can't imagine it fitting, might be one of those situations that I'll be able to get it in but not out;-)

I used it to remove grease from seat belts - worked a treat. Apparently it's the same or very similar to the fluid used in dry cleaning. Would suggest trying on a very small area first, though.

Jack

Thank you. I tried similar agents but will give it a try.

dry ice cleaning

dry ice cleaning should work, car detailer usually have this kind of equipment.

Dahon

I was surprised to learn that I could load and unload my Dahon D9 in my RV-12 baggage area. If you go to the Dahon web site they have all the measurements. I'm not saying it is easy or fun and I've only done it the one time.

Be cautious when using chemical cleaners on seat belt/shoulder harness components. Most seat belt manufacturers I am familiar with specifically state that caustic chemicals should not be used to clean seat belt components due to their potential weakening effect on the seat belt fibers.

Hi Azlee,

I have two Brompton bikes which my wife and I use in our RV12 regularly. We are able to load them very quickly. I would have like to use Bike Friday as they are in Oregon and have done a bit of work with Vans. Bike Friday have just released a new version so you should check that out. The Brompton has an exceptional fold which at this stage is the advantage. The two bikes sit beside the fuel tank. I have had to work carefully on loading ideas as we still wanted to get two packs and our tent in. It can be done. The bikes ride very well. Check their website.

Cheers
Julian 120316

Last edited:
You just had to spill the beans!

I don't think Abbey at Flightline makes the interior for the SLSA versions.

I just received my new grey seat cushion for my RV-12 SLSA from Abby . It cost $148. It seems much thicker than the ones in my airplane and I will find out tomorrow when I go to the airport.

Julian - working on my fuselage currently and have a Brompton as well. Had not thought about it fitting in the -12! Do you have any pictures of how you loaded your two? Excited to hear it works!

Hi John,

I will see if I can find the photos and make a new thread about the topic. It may be quicker if I just take some new photos. I got the idea off another post about someone who showed the load that they had put in their RV12. I didn't think it was possible but it is quite easy.

Cheers
Julian 120316

Brompton in my RV12

I saw it mentioned in another thread as well, then went to the hangar to see if works. It totally does!

Last edited:
Back