What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flaperon

08FATBOY

When i mounted the wings to the fuselage more years ago than i want to admit, the manual called for a flush fit at the wingtip. The newest revision shows the proper way is to droop them. My question is can this adjustment be made with the torque tubes, or would it be better to replace the flaperon torque arms and tubes and re drill for proper alignment. I'm holding off on the fuel tank and rear window till it warms up, so this is my next project.

Rod sn120162

I think that if you try to achieve the droop by adjusting the rod ends, you might find that the flaperon push tubes will hit the fuel pump at extremes ends of travel. You might try it to see what happens, paying special attention to the clearance between the tubes and fuel pump with faps up/down and full right/left aileron deflection.

Alex

I think drooping the flaperons slight by lengthening the push rods actually improves clearance on the fuel pump slightly....

My suggestion would be to try a small adjustment and shoot for the minimum droop each side (1/8" I think) and see how it works out. I have successfully made this adjustment on a couple of RV-12's .

Back