What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Sleeve Comparrision

Flow

Hello folks,

I have been searching around the forum for something like this but struck out. Has anyone done an 'everymans' test on the various fire sleeves, Eaton, Stratoflex, Speedflow black, XRP, Teknofibra etc?
Are they all pretty much the same just some have TSOs?

Don't think there is any TSO.
Just the SAE specification AS1072E
That is what we recommended for ELT antenna cable fire protection in ED-62B.

Jason, the real AS1072 spec firesleeve will have it labeled on the sleeve. All Mil spec sleeves from Aeroquip, Stratoflex, AS Flightlines (Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines) have. NOT to say that others may not meet the same spec--they probably do, but the TSO/MilSpec firesleeve shows it on the sleeve.

Tom

Thank you folks.

So is this all correct?

SAE AS1072 defines the requirements for fire sleeve to provide fire resistance for aircraft hose assemblies, which when properly assembled allows the hose to meet SAE AS1055

SAE AS1055 establishes requirements and procedures for the fire testing of flexible hose assemblies to be used in aircraft or aerospace vehicle fluid systems.

AS1055 also defines types, Class A, fire resistant (5 minute) or Class B, fire proof (15 minutes)

The TSOs in play are:
TSO-C42, Propeller Feathering Hose Assemblies
TSO-C53a, Fuel and Engine Oil System Hose Assemblies
TSO-C75, Hydraulic Hose Assemblies

ACs in play are:
AC 20-135 Propulsion system component fire protection test methods, standards, and criteria.

So what this boils down to is for a hose to be Class B IAW AS1055, it needs to have a 500°F / 260°C continuous rating, withstand 800°F / 426°C for periods up to 30 minutes, 2200°F / 1205°C for periods up to 15 minutes and short excursions to 3000°F / 1650

Fire sleeves are essentially constructed from self extinguishing silicon and fiber glass so it is likely that quality automotive products with the typical 0.125" wall thickness should be suitable even though they have not acquired the aerospace specific standards.

Examples:
Speedflow 599 series fire sleeve
Continuous Operating Temperature: 260°C / 500°F
Max short term exposure: 1300°C / 2370°F
Capture.PNG

References
https://www.parker.com/literature/FIRERESISTANCE.pdf

Last edited:
Jason, pretty much. But remember, Experimental aircraft are not technically governed by TSO, AS, NAS, etc MilSPecs, but we certainly do HOPE that the builder makes good choices when choosing applicable hose and hose materials.
Clear hose from the aviation dept at the big blue or orange box store is NOT what you should even think about using for oil or fuel.
Why am I crazy enough to say that? Because we've seen it, on flying and sometimes not flying, but supposedly signed off as airworthy planes. SCARY thoughts.

Tom

Is there any standard as far as toxic fumes? That is what would worry me about non aviation hoses.
G

Uncured RTV does have a 'rude' smell. In the cabin is no issue, because we dont firesleeve those hoses anyway.

Tom

UH---for what aircraft?
Brake lines/hoses arent an issue FWF ------BUT if you need -4 AS1072 rated firesleeve, email us.

Tom

Tom is the best

Go with Tom's recommendation and products ....simply NONE better anywhere and customer service is beyond belief.

UH---for what aircraft?
Brake lines/hoses arent an issue FWF ------BUT if you need -4 AS1072 rated firesleeve, email us.

Tom

Thanks Tom, this is a scratch built wooden aircraft with some RV components.
If I ever actually have a FWF fire I want the brakes to work after the rapid descent into one of the many small rugged paddocks we have in New Zealand.

I managed to find some AS1072-4 locally today.

I am still interested in anyone's account of their experience of the Teknofibra products. I see that they have a tape and am considering using it as an additional layer on critical areas. Maybe that question should have its own thread.

Last edited:
Back