What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB updates to look for when buying a used RV-12

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
As a potential second owner of a RV-12 from another owner, what are the major updates for parts that can fatigue and crack.

I know about the horizontal stab reinforcement bracket requiring complete removal and adding the bracket, and I understand it's a 2 man job getting the horizontal stab installed and everything aligned again to put it back in.

There's another aileron control bracket for the flaperons.

There's reinforcing plates for the skin for the main landing gear too.

There's possible exhaust manifolds cracking and needing replacing and carbon monoxide sensor in cockpit recommended, etc.

There's the nose wheel fork.

There's the nose wheel to firewall upgraded.

Is a Moller mechanical fuel gauge on top of the fuel tank standard or was it an option?

Canopy locked micro switch?

Angle of attack?

What else needs drilling out, adding stiffeners, and then re riveting to bring a RV-12 current for best engineering practices and airworthiness?

Last edited:
Niner

It's doubtful anyone on the forum will do all the research for you. There are about thirty-eight (38) Service Bulletins on Van's site pertaining to the RV-12. If you are looking at a recent build many of these will already have been done by the builder. Due diligence would be to print out all the SB, and put them in order in a binder for use when reviewing the aircraft logbooks and the aircraft itself.

There are also a similar large number of Notifications and Letters. Put those in a binder also. Some of them require a bit of work, like N17-05-19 which requires inspection for soft engine isolators.

Needless to say, a pre-buy inspection by a knowledgeable person would pay for itself.

The Moller gauge became standard whenever the visual sight window was deleted pretty early in the program.

The canopy latch safety switch sometime in 2014 see Notification 14-05-22.

AoA is an option see Notification 16-12-14. There are a number of airplanes that have non-standard AoA installed.

Last edited:
Tony
I started a page do do just that
I have all bulletins listed and started pages form the photos of my build
I am building EAB so I have modified them to my liking.
The link to the Vans PDFs are listed in the left column.

http://joesrv12.com/Builder Log/SB_Index.htm

This page is a work in progress

Niner
It's doubtful anyone on the forum will do all the research for you. There are about thirty-eight (38) Service Bulletins on Van's site pertaining to the RV-12. If you are looking at a recent build many of these will already have been done by the builder. Due diligence would be to print out all the SB, and put them in order in a binder for use when reviewing the aircraft logbooks and the aircraft itself.

Joe Dallas

Last edited:
Hi Joe. I always enjoy your posts. Hopefully you will post a copy of your final work...

SB up Dates

Thanks Deene

This page will be updated as I have time.
Now I need to do the Nose Fork & Nose gear replacement when I get the parts.
I am working on my POH and all info needed for DAR

Thanks Again

Joe

Hi Joe. I always enjoy your posts. Hopefully you will post a copy of your final work...

Last edited:
Back