What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 to RV-12: jigs and tools question

HEllison

Hello All,

I?ve decided to change projects from my RV-7 to a RV-12. I?ve found a potential buyer for the RV-7 wing kit. My question is, do I get rid of the wing stand and leading edge cradle or are they needed for the 12. Also, is their a use for the C-frame for dimpling?

Thanks,

Hans

The RV-12 still has wings that need to be stored so a wing stand is useful. Depending on its design, it may need to be modified slightly.

All the rest of the items you mentioned are not needed.

Build sequence question

Thanks. So to clarify, I don?t need the wing stand that was used for drilling the wing? But the wing cradle for storage would be useful.

Also, since storage is an issue. Do you see any problems with starting with fuselage and finishing kit? Then doing wings and empennage last? I?m wondering if plowing through the lengthy parts of the build first would help. I?ve completed the -7 emp and wings recently so I have that experience under my belt.

Thanks.

You can construct the 12 in this order;

Emp Kit
Fuse kit
wing kit
finish kit

Part of the finish kit is the final assembly so you would want the wings done first.

FYI I followed Vans directions and did them in the normal order and storing the wings is a pain i'll admit.

It is recommended in the plans that the wings be built first so that the fit of a couple of parts on the fuselage can be checked during construction.
Some people have bypassed that.
In reality, it is easier to store the wings than the fuselage. They can be leaned close to a wall or strapped up tight to a ceiling. The fuselage takes up a lot more space. Especially once it is on the gear.

You do not need a fixture to hold the wings during construction (you actually don't need it for 7 wings either)

I'm building in the order Jeff mentions. Like Scott says, when I ordered my fuselage, it was suggested I order a couple of parts from the wing kit (stub spars and rear spar doublers) to test fit the receptacles where the wings attach to the fuselage. The folks at the factory told me exactly which wing parts to order and said I could deduct these from my wing kit.

Last edited:
The RV-12 still has wings that need to be stored so a wing stand is useful. Depending on its design, it may need to be modified slightly.

All the rest of the items you mentioned are not needed.

Scott, does Vans have a set of plans (or recommend one) for a RV-12 wing stand?

You can construct the 12 in this order;

Emp Kit
Fuse kit
wing kit
finish kit

Part of the finish kit is the final assembly so you would want the wings done first.

FYI I followed Vans directions and did them in the normal order and storing the wings is a pain i'll admit.

Jeff - could you educate me more on wanting the wings done before the finish kit? I was toying with the idea of building the wings dead last as theoretically they are only needed to get airborne, which probably shouldn't be attempted until the end of the build anyway. :rolleyes:

Jeff - could you educate me more on wanting the wings done before the finish kit? I was toying with the idea of building the wings dead last as theoretically they are only needed to get airborne, which probably shouldn't be attempted until the end of the build anyway. :rolleyes:

Bobby - during the finish kit you need to fit the wings to the fuse also there are several steps where the wings are needed (like drilling the flaparon brackets).

Bobby - during the finish kit you need to fit the wings to the fuse also there are several steps where the wings are needed (like drilling the flaparon brackets).

So is waiting on the wings a no-go, or does it just mean I'll have to come back to a couple unfinished steps once I do get the wings complete?

EAA wing stand works well for RV-12 wings:

sa_12_87_fig1.jpg

CTT_2298.jpg

CTT_2311-M.jpg

CTT_2607-L.jpg

Last edited:
I used a stout sawhorse to hold the two spar tang ends and two stand-alone carpet sling fixtures (one for each wing) to support each wing out near its tip. The only downside of this arrangement is that it is not on wheels and cannot be rolled around the shop as a unit. On the plus side, when your project is done you have a nice sawhorse for general shop use and a pair of easily stored carpet slings fixtures that can hold one wing at a time if needed.

Wing Cradle

Since the subject of wing storage and construction is up I thought I would share some pics of the stand I built. I'm just finishing up the wing kit now. I made some modifications to the standard EAA cart, extending the length and adding 2x4 supports at each end. This allowed me to use the cart to hold the spars on each side while doing a lot of the skeleton. Once I had the wing skinned up I replaced the 2x4 at one end with carpet material. I intend to keep this cradle around in the hanger to hold the wings and expect it to be a little more stable with the spar ends supported.

A few pics here showing the flexibility of this configuration.

IMG_2174.jpeg

IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_0371.jpeg

IMG_0448.jpeg

There will be times throughout the life of the airplane when you will want to remove wings to comply with Annual Condition Inspection or to facilitate maintenance.

Ask me how many times I've had the wings off...

Back