What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Software 8.70 Now Available 6/8/2020

G3X Touch 8.71 Update Issue

Just an advisement - I attempted to update my single screen GDU 460, with GTX23 and GDL39 and other LRU's with version 8.71 last evening, and got the XPDR Config Error, as well as a GPS Receiver Needs Service message. Emailed Garmin for advice. I'll update y'all when I get more intel.

Chris,

Check the antenna offset field in the transponder setup menu. It is probably blank. That was the fix for me and others.

See the G3xpert post #49 in this thread to set it correctly.

Also note, as others, that a lot of setup information that you have will get changed. PITA to reset up the map, fuel switch timer etc.

Resolved - thank you!

Resolution confirmed. GPS antenna offset had no value. Providing one eliminated the XPDR Config Error and the GPS Receiver Needs Service message.

Interesting difference, now when powering up the system, the transponder seems to download something, assuming from the GDU, it only takes a few seconds.

NON-touch ??

So the Non touch guys are just forced to update equipment at this point?

Yes, apparently.

Honestly, probably not yet, but there are some LRU's on that list that I have. I sure would like that fuel "switch tanks" based on volume warning.

Now that the 4XX bugs are worked out, maybe we can get an update for us (3XX) early adopters.

Last edited:
For the love of God I thought I was the only one having this issue and that I had screwed something up!

Its some relief to see was not my fault!

This firmware upgrades 8.60 up to 8.71 made me very frustrated!

With 8.60 I started to have occasionally loss of traffic information with the GTS800 coupled to G3X... Now with 8.71 I think I would have it solved.

Unfortunately now is even worse.

I've completely lost my tranponder.

I looking forward to set the antenna offset as replied in thread #49 but

Is it when I boot into G3X configuration MODE or is it in the normal operation G3X transponder configurations?

Because I don't remember to have this option in my transponder configurations into G3X booting in configuration mode and in with the G3X in normal operation it does not let me access the XPRD configuration menu anymore it just shows it but does not enters it...

Look at this video please and see if it is there (hope not) where I point I cannot access that you set the antenna offset:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmihNvxRmbC9QnfB7

Last edited:
GPS Antenna Offset

For the love of God I thought I was the only one having this issue and that I had screwed something up!

Its some relief to see was not my fault!

This firmware upgrades 8.60 up to 8.71 made me very frustrated!

With 8.60 I started to have occasionally loss of traffic information with the GTS800 coupled to G3X... Now with 8.71 I think I would have it solved.

Unfortunately now is even worse.

I've completely lost my tranponder.

I looking forward to set the antenna offset as replied in thread #49 but

Is it when I boot into G3X configuration MODE or is it in the normal operation G3X transponder configurations?

Because I don't remember to have this option in my transponder configurations into G3X booting in configuration mode and in with the G3X in normal operation it does not let me access the XPRD configuration menu anymore it just shows it but does not enters it...

Look at this video please and see if it is there (hope not) where I point I cannot access that you set the antenna offset:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmihNvxRmbC9QnfB7

Good Morning,

Power on your display in configuration mode by holding down the MENU key during power up. Select the Transponder menu, and on the right hand side scroll down until you find the GPS Antenna Offset field. This is the distance form the nose of the aircraft to the GPS antenna for the GPS receiver that is providing position information to your ADS-B Transponder.

Thanks,

Justin

Good Morning,

Power on your display in configuration mode by holding down the MENU key during power up. Select the Transponder menu, and on the right hand side scroll down until you find the GPS Antenna Offset field. This is the distance form the nose of the aircraft to the GPS antenna for the GPS receiver that is providing position information to your ADS-B Transponder.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin many thanks I will go to the HANGAR today and do exactly that.

Hopefully it will solve problem

Bit scared because I don't remember by heart to have seen this option you told me but may be mistaken. I hope it does not requires that my Transponder software is up to date. I always tought that in each firmware upgrade everything was upgraded toghether as one.

Have a GTX 35R and the 8.71 update has the unit stuck trying to “update xpdr config” . Will try rolling back to 8.61.
Tom.

Have a GTX 35R and the 8.71 update has the unit stuck trying to “update xpdr config” . Will try rolling back to 8.61.
Tom.

Tom I did what G3XExpert told in the post above and it solved my problem!

I wonder is that possible to roll back the updates for a earlier version?

If so how to do it. Does anyone can tell many thanks in advance.

Back