What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Guns

CYFDAV8R

Hello All!

I'm brand new to posting here although I have been interested in RV10s for a while. Currently flying a 1972 Rockwell Commander 112. I'm looking at starting a build in 2021. This year I plan to get the tools together and do the Vans Mini Projects which I ordered last week to begin to understand riveting.

I want to buy a Rivet Gun to start and found this on Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/topages/rb-rivetset777.php?clickkey=3010594

Would that be suitable for a full build next year? Or should I look at something else that's better? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Also I have never done a project like this so have no real understanding what's best to get? A X2, X3, X4? Does a X4 give me a bigger range of rivets?

It's all in the trigger...

You want a rivet gun that has a nice progressive linear trigger motion -- no hang ups, no "break" like a rifle trigger.

2X - Gets the job done, AD3 (flush set) and AD4 (universal and flush)
3X - Gets the job done, shorter time, requires skill/practice to not overdrive AD4, AD5 rivets

Look at Cleaveland Tool and Brown for Rivet guns tho -- my personal preference is the Sioux and Chicago Pneumatic

Cheers!

B

Instead of blindly practicing on your own and developing bad habits, I would suggest you attend one of the EAA SportAir sheet metal workshops (either the standard on or the RV one, there isn't much difference between them.

If that isn't practical, then find a local mentor to help you get started, as well as to demonstrate the various tools for you before you start investing.

Best of luck with your RV-10 goal

My preference is for a 3x. Classes are great as is a mentor but it’s not the end of the world if you have trouble locking down either. I’m totally self taught—basic riveting isn’t really that hard and unlike other skills you can readily see and judge the quality of your work. Plus there’s a ton of online info like EAA how-to videos that weren’t there when I started building.

Mentor

Instead of blindly practicing on your own and developing bad habits, I would suggest you attend one of the EAA SportAir sheet metal workshops (either the standard on or the RV one, there isn't much difference between them.

If that isn't practical, then find a local mentor to help you get started, as well as to demonstrate the various tools for you before you start investing.

Best of luck with your RV-10 goal

+1
Personally, I prefer a Mentor. One-on-one. I love my Sioux 3x and tungsten bars. So much, I rarely use a pneumatic squeezer.

I used a Sioux 4X (yes 4X) gun building my Rocket. With the air pressure turned down it hits pretty slow and is very easy to control. Only a few hits required on -3?s.

Get a 3x gun. I have seen classified ads for people selling 2x guns to get a 3x. never the other way around.

I have both a 2X and a 3X gun. I use the 2X on the -3 rivets and the 3X on the -4 rivets, at the same air pressure. Saves adjusting pressures and maybe forgetting.

The ACAT gun from The Yardstore is as good as the Sioux.

What Larry said about the tungsten bucking bars. One 3X gun and one tungsten bucking bar and you're good to go.

Note that there are other riveting tools that are handy at some point: pneumatic squeezers come to mind.

Dave

If you can only afford one gun, get a 3X.

If can can afford two, get both a 3X and a 2X.

Infact, I would rather have 2X gun and a manual squeezer than a pneumatic squeezer.

Well this thread has gone internet typical? ask a simple question and get 20 different answers half of which contradict the other half.

Well this thread has gone internet typical? ask a simple question and get 20 different answers half of which contradict the other half.

At least it hasn't gone political :)

3X...and tungsten bucking bars...

and Zinc Chromate primer on everything...(lmao)

But there's one thing for sure , you will also want either a pneumatic squeezers or one of the Numatyx guns before you finish that RV10!:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions...

I agree the mentor and classes are a good idea and will follow up with that. I'm an EAA member and I'll likely join the local chapter... I'm hoping to visit the Vans Factory later in the year and order the kit next.

The Vans sign and toolbox project are just for fun but I figure I might as well get the right tools for the job now and make wise financial choices in the tools ill use most. I will look into the ones suggested by everyone. I suspect as some suggest a lot will come down to personal preference but I like the comments regarding perhaps looking at multiple options. Also the trigger being important. Thanks for the tips! happy flying everyone! This VAF things going to prove very useful!

I think the trigger is very important. You don't want a trigger thats on or off you need something that you can feather.

I used a Sioux 4X (yes 4X) gun building my Rocket. With the air pressure turned down it hits pretty slow and is very easy to control. Only a few hits required on -3?s.
My EAA tech counselor advised me to use a 4X gun on my RV-9A for the same reasons you mention. With the pressure turned down, it worked fine on -3s and -4s, and I found it much easier to control than the 2X gun I started with.

Does the Pounds Pressure Matter?

But there's one thing for sure , you will also want either a pneumatic squeezers or one of the Numatyx guns before you finish that RV10!:D

I looked at ATS and Numatyx Squeezers.... I noted the Numatyx system seems limited to 3000lbs pressure whereas the larger hand squeezer from ATS and others went to 6000lbs. Is 3000lbs all you really need for the build?

Also anyone have and opinion on Numatyx foot controlled smaller and able to work in tight spaces over the Slight larger ATS hand trigger squeezer which has limits with the space in can work in?

Cheers, Rod.

My EAA tech counselor advised me to use a 4X gun on my RV-9A for the same reasons you mention. With the pressure turned down, it worked fine on -3s and -4s, and I found it much easier to control than the 2X gun I started with.

This is what I figured the X4 dialled back might work well on a broader range of rivets... More research to do obviously and I have time so obviously the more I save on tools in sales the more budget Ill have for the RV10.

Thanks for the input... I really appreciate it all guys/gals.

Back