What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12iS Radiator Leak

Bob Y

Well Known Member
Have any of you building an iS experienced coolant leakage around the AN913-3D radiator plug? If so, how did you address it beyond the pipe thread sealant?

ProSeal?

First used Loctite 567 then tried Permatex 2. Still seeping around the plug.

I?m surprised the -567 didn?t work. Is there a cure time specified for that stuff. Can?t remember and don?t have my box of lotions, potions and mystery cures nearby to read the directions.

Anyway, check the specs on ProSeal, it might work in that temp range and being more viscous it might seal the leakage path around those threads.
Good luck!

Thanks, guys. In a desperation attempt at addressing the issue, Teflon tape was tried, which improved the situation, but coolant still wicks out around the threads.

And don?t think about cross threading... the plug screws in easily by hand for quite a few rotations before a wrench is needed to snug it up.

Two of us in our EAA chapter are at the same stage building iS?. One of us had no issue with just the 567 but the other still has the problem after trying the three solutions described. We?re really trying to find out if any others have had a similar experience.

Maybe do a dye-pen test of the plug, threads, and flange area, if not use a 10X magnifying glass and inspect for cracks.

Maybe something is wrong with the plug itself? Is there another plug you can try with 567 to see if that solves the problem?

I had this exact problem!

After resealing it twice with Permatex #2 and having the leak recurr (I?m a slow learner), I used a high temperature thread sealant. Permatex High temp sealant 59214 from the local Tractor Supply Store. Worked like a charm.

Good luck.

Thanks. We tried that too over the weekend. Giving it plenty of time to cure before checking out the results.

Happy to report that after a 20 minute engine run it appears 59214 has addressed the leak. Hopefully this will help anyone else that might encounter the same issue.

Back