What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix ADSB Solution briefed at OSH

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
I talked to the guys at the UAvionix booth about their new solution that is FAA approved for experimental a/c.

Basically, if you don't have a WAAS GPS source or transponder that is 1090 ES you can get their combo WAAS GPS source and antenna in one unit and purchase the second part which you install near your current transponder and their unit "sniffs" your existing transponder and updates it with WAAS GPS info and sends it out.

The whole package for both units including wiring is $1399. It is eligible for the FAA $500 rebate though it is not listed yet on the website where you apply for a rebate slot. To display traffic and weather via bluetooth you would need a compatible device to do that.

So it looks like $899 will get compliance with 2020 mandate for ADSB out and as a bonus you can get "IN" if you have a tablet to display it.

Did anybody else look at this solution? Do I have my facts straight?

I'm pretty inexperienced with the ADSB out rules. Am I missing anything?

Rebate

I talked to the guys at the UAvionix booth about their new solution that is FAA approved for experimental a/c.

Basically, if you don't have a WAAS GPS source or transponder that is 1090 ES you can get their combo WAAS GPS source and antenna in one unit and purchase the second part which you install near your current transponder and their unit "sniffs" your existing transponder and updates it with WAAS GPS info and sends it out.

The whole package for both units including wiring is $1399. It is eligible for the FAA $500 rebate though it is not listed yet on the website where you apply for a rebate slot. To display traffic and weather via bluetooth you would need a compatible device to do that.

So it looks like $899 will get compliance with 2020 mandate for ADSB out and as a bonus you can get "IN" if you have a tablet to display it.

Did anybody else look at this solution? Do I have my facts straight?

I'm pretty inexperienced with the ADSB out rules. Am I missing anything?
The rebate is only given for "certified" equipment. That's why you don't see it listed.
Uavionix is not certified.
Dave

FAA REBATE RULES

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Per the FAA ADSB website ADSB avionics must be certified to Technical Standard Orders and meet the rule requirements of 14CFR 91.227.

Uavionix meets that standard per page 8 of the installation manual.

Quoted from 91.227:

(2) Aircraft operating in airspace designated for ADS-B Out, but outside of Class A airspace, must have equipment installed that meets the antenna and output power requirements of either:

(i) Class A1, A1S, A2, A3, B1S, or B1 as defined in TSO-C166b; or

(ii) Class A1H, A1S, A2, A3, B1S, or B1 equipment as defined in TSO-C154c, Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) Equipment Operating on the Frequency of 978 MHz.

This does not mean the equipment has to be certified (or have a TSO approval from the FAA). This was further clarified in the ADS-B Final Rule Technical Amendment, dated 2/9/2015, affecting 14 CFR 91.225 (b)(1)(ii) which permits ADS-B OUT in the NAS.

See https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...rformance-requirements-to-support-air-traffic

The FAA has neither certified nor issued a TSO for the unit being discussed.

Don

Last edited:
Check With Uavionix

I'm afraid you are mistaken. Per the FAA ADSB website ADSB avionics must be certified to Technical Standard Orders and meet the rule requirements of 14CFR 91.227.

Uavionix meets that standard per page 8 of the installation manual.

I believe you'll find they don't qualify for the rebate due to their experimental nature. Still a great deal.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Rebate

I guess you did not read my response or understand it. I did not say you could not install the equipment. I said it does not qualify for the rebate.
I should know as I have a Skyguard non certified ADSB in and out system that meets the standards, installed in my experimental aircraft. I inquired in writing to the FAA and their
Response was only certified equipment is eligible for the $500.00 rebate.
Dave

Isn't this the same cat-herding exercise that NavWorx just went through?
They issued an AD and shut his production down until they worked out a solution!

Rebate

There is no problem installing NON certified
Equipment in our experimentals that
Meet the standards.
The response I gave is only concerning the FAA
Rebate if $500 that expires in September.
Equipment that is not certified is ineligible for this rebate.
I don't see what this has to do with the navworx fiasco.

In the NavWorx scenario, they had non-certified equipment that was stated to have met the standard...the FAA said they could not transmit a SIL=3 - meaning they would not get ADSB-In...which included their Experimental only version.

I would be concerned about the same thing here!

Rebate

The uavionix equipment meets the current standards for
2020 compliance.
Navworx did not use an approved gps source that met the
2020 standards.
Apples and oranges.

The uavionix equipment meets the current standards for
2020 compliance.
Navworx did not use an approved gps source that met the
2020 standards.
Apples and oranges.

I spoke with the FAA's ADS-B "team" at Sun n Fun. They were very complimentary of uAvionix. I don't see any problems in their future.

Verified the Uavionix is not eligible for rebate

Poster DOTHETIME was correct that Uavionix is not eligible for rebate but it does meet the TSO standard and the applicable FAR's so it can be installed in experimental a/c .

I presume then that even though it meets those standards the FAA has not "certified" it.

The uavionix equipment meets the current standards for 2020 compliance.
Navworx did not use an approved gps source that met the 2020 standards.
Apples and oranges.

If the uavionix gps is not approved (not certified) then how do customers know it meets the standards? I think this is exactly the same thing as NavWorx.

Yes the uAvionix Echo reports sil=3. That's what the PAPR report said when I did my test flight after installation. (And I passed)

Dan

Back