What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cruise Pitch in RV-6A

FlyingBanker

Well Known Member
Patron
In cruise flight, I generally have to maintain about a 3* to 4* pitch down on the attitude indicator to maintain level flight. If I pitch to level, I'm climbing. Is that typical? Is there something I should adjust or do differently?

Sounds like your attitude indicator needs to calibrated. Sounds like it was calibrated with the airplane sitting "on the landing gear". Should be a simple task.

But the attitude indicator shows level when sitting on level ground.

But the aircraft is most likely NOT level when sitting on the ground. Typically a tri-gear airplane sits at a slightly nose high attitude when on the ground. Place a level on the longeron. I think you will discover this.

That makes sense, Mel. OK, next question then - I didn't do the panel installation (G3X Touch and G5 both attitude indicators). I had an avionics shop do that. Is this calibration that is needed something I can do or should I take it back to the shop? If something I can do, I need some guidance on how to do that - anyone willing to reach out to me to help? I'm still new at this and trying to learn all the time.

When powering on hold in the twisty knob until it boots. Then the screen will show the preference screen. From there scroll to attitude adjustment setting. Figure out what level in your plane is and adjust to that attitude and make as your preference.

Its all online or in your manual.

The 6A is not level on the ground. If you are brave you can do it “on the fly” in the air until you get it where you want it.

Just for reference, I just had my RV6A raised up in the level attitude for wheel pant install. The nose wheel was 3/8” of the floor and the mains were about 4 1/4” off the floor.

Thanks for all the help. I've found the info and should be able to get this done. This group is the greatest!

Back