What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backing for interior panels.

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I’m going to put new interior side panels in my 8. I have decided on the material to cover with but am wondering what material those of you have rolled you own, what material did you use. Aluminum, plastic, etc? If aluminum, what gauge or thickness?

I used 0.016 aluminum. That was the thinnest aluminum sheet I could get at the time.

Aluminum wasn't my first choice. It is heavier than it needs to be, and it is less compliant/flexible than I would like to make installation and removal easy.

I would have liked to have used some thin polystyrene plastic sheet, but I couldn't find any at the time.

sewing place

Go to one of those sewing places - Joann's, hobby lobby, michael's - and let them know what you want to do. They have some stuff designed for this but I can't tell you what it is - some kind of cardboard/plastic. Very light and stiff.

Choice may depend on how you intend to attach the panels to the fuselage aluminum or arm rests etc. My wife used fusible interfacing to stiffen the fabric panels. We attached panels with adhesive Velcro on the aluminum and sewn Velcro on the panels. Completely satisfactory. Padded arm rests were attached with a pair of fasteners. While writing this, I realize these panel velcros are the ONLY places in the craft that adhesive has survived. All other 'non-aviation' sticky things have failed in the heat and been replaced with more permanent devices.

I used Nomex felt, 1/2" thick, as the backing to attach the trim fabric to. It's stiff enough to support itself and works well as insulation too.

Backing for interior panels

Widget,

In my old RV-6, I used a product called Kydex, available on Amazon.

Ken Harrill

Last edited:
I've used the material available at automotive upholstery shops. Its a black cardboard product approx .06 thick.
I've also used plastic "cardboard". It looks like corrugated cardboard and is commonly used to make shipping containers. It is also used to make small signs like those seen around town near election day.

Leather glued to .028" Kydex with 3M 3857. Panels are attached with velcro. Worked out nicely. The corrugated plastic will show lines unless you have a thin layer of foam in-between the fabric or leather.

If you are using leather, only glue it around the edges. That will allow the leather to pull tight without wrinkles.

I've used the material available at automotive upholstery shops. Its a black cardboard product approx .06 thick.
I've also used plastic "cardboard". It looks like corrugated cardboard and is commonly used to make shipping containers. It is also used to make small signs like those seen around town near election day.

Anyone done any flammability testing on any of the automotive shop black cardboard products? Any measurements on weight. Looks like some versions of Kydex are fully compliant to FAR vertical flame test requirement which is really good if it can be obtained at a reasonable price.

KT

Back