What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Triming canopy

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hey all, I’m starting on the canopy and just curious how much did you have to trim it to get a good fit? The plans state you can elongate the canopy latch hole a tad, was that necessary? I think i may need to.

Did you need to trim the forward outboard corners? I don’t have a good sense what a good trim at this location would like like.

Doug- thanks a TON for upgrading, adding a pic was so EASY this time!

Attachments

• 15BCC9C5-27EC-4076-8FC9-B02B790DD643.jpg
    15BCC9C5-27EC-4076-8FC9-B02B790DD643.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 343
It’s been over 8 years since I did mine, but I don’t remember it being a major problem.

Having worked nuke plants all my career we had a description of field engineering: beat to fit and paint to match!😜

Trimming Canopy

I too was very apprehensive about trimming the canopy. Take it slow, take off less than you think, and sneak up on it. I was very surprised how well it fit, Make sure you do it in a warm environment or at least not a cold environment.
I was attaching the canopy to the frame. in the middle of winter and my good friend, Vinny A. suggested I put a heat gun floor, let it run for a few minutes under the canopy. The result was perfect.

Slow is the way to go and if something does not look right it probably is not. STOP, think about it, phone a friend (tech counselor, Vans) Walk away and think about it. Several times in my build, I awoke in the middle of the night with a potential solution.

What Donnie said. When you start to feel the slightest frustration stop immediately. Walk away or work on something else. There’s always something to debur!

Thx for all the encouragement, so far so good. I finished drilling the side skirts today and no disasters so far.

Another QQ, Plexi drill bits....
I'm looking at the aft window installation and I need a #40 and #36 plexiglas bit. I bought the #30 and #27 from McMaster-Carr but they don't have any as small as a #40. Anyone have a source for those?

Back