What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Interior Update

chrispratt

Well Known Member
After 14 years it was about time to refresh the seat cushions in my RV-8. I?ve been extremely happy with the sheepskin covering of my original seats ? my Goldilocks seats as I call them -- they have never been too hot or too cold but just right. The sheepskin has never torn and has held up extremely well. I figure, however, the foam has probably deteriorated over time and certainly the original sheepskin coverings have faded.

As a side note, I?m surprised more builders don?t opt for the sheepskin ? not as sexy as leather but they sure are comfortable. Price is about the same as leather.

I opted for Flightline Interiors to produce the new seats and I can certainly recommend them (see photos below).

Abby did a great job and I appreciate the quality of the build and the advice in selection. I discussed using the comfort-foam for the core material as opposed to regular foam. Abby advised me that for the RV-8 Flightline uses comfort-foam as standard for the upper layer of the build and it was unlikely I would notice the difference to add it for the lower layers. [Note: I?m not sure if this holds true for the side-by-side aircraft seating.]

The lateral and lumbar support of these seats is a big step up from my previous set. They are very comfortable and fit like a glove. I hope I don?t fall asleep when flying :). I know my wife will like them.

Kudos to Abby. Thanks for the great work. I?m ready for another 14 years of RV fun. Perhaps new side panels will be next on my wish list ;)

Rear seat cushions in pre-installation mock up.

Rear seat cushions installed.

Front seat cushions in pre-installation mock up.

Front seat cushions installed .

Daylight photo to better show the color.

NOTES:
1. Photos were taken with an iPhone under various light sources: fluorescent light in the man-cave photos, daylight-balanced fluorescent in the hangar, and daylight for exterior.
2. Color selected for Sheepskin was ?Shingle?.
3. Side panels were vinyl ?Stealth? color.
4. Install time was less than an hour. I only had to adjust the crotch straps on the Crow Seat belts to account for differing height.
5. I haven?t used the Velcro tapes included as yet. Today was cold in the hangar and I figured the glue would probably not adhere too well. I don?t think the Velcro is necessary as the seatbacks fit snugly in place.
6. I use straight control sticks as opposed to bent sticks in both front and back. No interference noted during test flight.

Happy flying!

Chris

These really are nice, Chris. Was the comfort-foam something that Flightline supplied or something that you got on your own. I've been very happy with automotive grade cloth over stock Vans cushions that I have, but these look like a nice upgrade that I'm sure my bride would like all year round.

Last edited:
These really are nice, Chris. Was the comfort-foam something that Flightline supplied or something that you got on your own....

Brian:

Flightline supplies the comfort foam. My old interior had no shaped form for lumbar or thigh support. This new interior does have that feature and it makes you feel more attached to the airplane if that makes sense. Sort of like a luxury car interior.

Chris

I have sheep skin and I love it. Like Chris says, not too hot, not too cold, just right...ahhhh. My hangar mate has sheep skin too and he loves his. Mine is a silver gray and his is a bluish color....just beautiful. Highly recommended!

After 14 years it was about time to refresh the seat cushions in my RV-8. I’ve been extremely happy with the sheepskin covering of my original seats

As a side note, I’m surprised more builders don’t opt for the sheepskin – not as sexy as leather but they sure are comfortable. Price is about the same as leather.

..... I discussed using the comfort-foam for the core material as opposed to regular foam. Abby advised me that for the RV-8 Flightline uses comfort-foam as standard for the upper layer of the build and it was unlikely I would notice the difference to add it for the lower layers.

I also have 10 year old sheepskin on my -8 and it's not as pretty as when new either but I was considering upgrading to leather (I think it looks better plus resale and curb appeal value if I ever decide to sell it) and then having my guy use the old sheepskin to make me a cover for flying and remove it for showing. This cover would also protect the leather.

You mention price but their website doesn't have sheepskin in their options price list, how much did the seats cost?

Interesting she would tell you that you wouldn't find any difference in using all confort-foam but unless you ask they'll charge someone $250 to "Upgrade to all Confor-foam" as they have on their price list.

Last edited:
+1 for Flightline Interiors

Been VERY happy with my leather seats that Abby put together a while back. Multiple layers of different types of foam were built up to provide extremely comfortable seats. 4+ hour flights, jump out, refuel and I could easily go for another 4. When I was building the airplane I purchased seat heaters from FlyBoys. Told Abby about them and she said send them so they could be installed when the seats were made; no extra charge. I also got all the side panel inserts and arm rest covers to match and they all fit perfectly. Stick boots and covers to match also. She will also embroider designs onto the leather. Yeah it all weighs, but it sure makes things comfortable! She’s got sample boards of the different leathers and materials that she’ll send you. When I narrowed down my choices she sent larger sample pieces just to make sure. For everything in two color leather I seem to recall it was a little over $2k.
You will not go wrong with FlightLine Interiors. No I’m not associated with them, just a happy customer.

You mention price but their website doesn't have sheepskin in their options price list, how much did the seats cost?

Interesting she would tell you that you wouldn't find any difference in using all confort-foam but unless you ask they'll charge someone $250 to "Upgrade to all Confor-foam" as they have on their price list.

The cost of the seats (sheepskin, foam, vinyl sidepieces and seatbacks, plus shipping was $1,700). The $250 upgrade you mention is for use of confor-foam for all layers and refers to any model RV. Since I didn't have confor-foam in my previous seats, I took her advice about not upgrading since there was confor-foam in the upper layer as standard. If used for all layers throughout the seats, they might feel even better. And perhaps, the non-RV-8 seats are structured differently. That I don't know.

Certainly the side-by-side seats do not have the narrow front backrest that the tandem planes have. So I would guess that seat structure, comfort level and need for confor-foam and even amount of materials used might vary for side-by-side RVs and could impact overall price.

Call Abby and I'm sure she can explain the differences.

Chris

Last edited:
Seat construction

Hi Chris- Your post regarding your new seats was very timely for me. I am building an RV8 and am trying to build the cushions. The front cushion is my problem. I made a styrofoam filler that is 3" thick and takes up the space on the floor behind the spar and ramp to the seat back. It is cut to match the angle of the ramp. I bought the three layer Confor foam from Hi-Tech Foams. I glued the three layers of foam together and cut a 15 degree angle on the back side to match the seat back angle. The foam goes forward, flat against the styrofoam filler until it meats the angle of the ramp. It then angles up to match the ramp angle for about five and one half inches. Your seat cushion looks to be basically flat. Is your space on the floor behind the ramp filled to the full height of the ramp? Trying to do the seats myself. Ugh! Does everybody farm the seats out?

Hi Chris- Your post regarding your new seats was very timely for me. I am building an RV8 and am trying to build the cushions. The front cushion is my problem. I made a styrofoam filler that is 3" thick and takes up the space on the floor behind the spar and ramp to the seat back. It is cut to match the angle of the ramp. I bought the three layer Confor foam from Hi-Tech Foams. I glued the three layers of foam together and cut a 15 degree angle on the back side to match the seat back angle. The foam goes forward, flat against the styrofoam filler until it meats the angle of the ramp. It then angles up to match the ramp angle for about five and one half inches. Your seat cushion looks to be basically flat. Is your space on the floor behind the ramp filled to the full height of the ramp? Trying to do the seats myself. Ugh! Does everybody farm the seats out?

Rich:

Sorry that I didn't take photos of the front seat profile. I'll try to do that this weekend if you can wait that long. As I recall the lowest portion of the front seat is a wedge that is two inches thick and fills the recessed area at the bottom the seat. This 2" wedge is then velcroed to the bottom of the main seat cushion which, as I recall, is flat over the wedge portion but its forward section angles upward to follow the angle of the floor structure. I think this was done so that you can substitute different bottom wedges to adjust height. I am about 5' 9" and find this new seat slightly lower than my previous seat. I'm going to fly it a while to see if I need a different booster.

I know this description probably doesn't help much. I'll try to get some photos to better illustrate it but that will be a few days before I can get out to the airplane.

Chris

Seat construction

Thanks for the response Chris. I now have a better idea of what you have. What I need to know is if the space under the seat cushion is filled to the top of the ramp or is there ramp still showing with just the wedge in place? I probably shouldn't have cut the foam before I had all the info I needed but I'm sure it can be adjusted.

Rich

Thanks for the response Chris. I now have a better idea of what you have. What I need to know is if the space under the seat cushion is filled to the top of the ramp or is there ramp still showing with just the wedge in place? I probably shouldn't have cut the foam before I had all the info I needed but I'm sure it can be adjusted.

Rich

Rich:

I had a chance to be at the airport yesterday and took a few more photos that I hope will answer your questions.

The Flightline seat bottom is shaped as shown in the first photo.

It is a two-piece construction with the bottom booster velcroed to the upper seat cushion.

Photo three shows the standard bottom wedge is about 2 inches high. You may need to add more. I’ve asked Abby to send me an additional booster of about 1 ½ inch. I like to sit a bit higher. My height is 5’ 9” with heels :rolleyes: and the 2 inch wedge is okay but I’d feel better with a little more height.

As an alternative, since you are making your own seat, the photo below shows my orginal RV-8 seat bottom that was made by Becky Orndorff (no longer in the business of doing this). In that case it was custom built to my height and the result is about a 3 ½ inch height for the wedge at the seat bottom. (see photo 5).

I hope this helps with your project.

Chris

P.S. In case you are curious, The Eastern Air Lines seal on the back wall is because my father, may he rest in peace, flew for the Great Silver Fleet for 33 years. Fond memories of the glory days of commercial aviation.

Last edited:
Bottom wedge

Thanks for the excellent pictures. That explains just what I wanted to know. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Rich

P.S. In case you are curious, The Eastern Air Lines seal on the back wall is because my father, may he rest in peace, flew for the Great Silver Fleet for 33 years. Fond memories of the glory days of commercial aviation.[/I]

Wow, Eastern Airlines, great memories ! They were the big deal when I was growing up in the Caribbean. Their slogan for their Spanish speaking audience was "Las Alas de America" ( The Wings of America ) and they had an unoffical slogan for the Caribbean "Las Alas del Hombre" ( The Wings of Man ).

I grew up watching commercials like these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_qZ385Dt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKipb4Bk5Ck

Last edited:
Wow, Eastern Airlines, great memories ! They were the big deal when I was growing up in the Caribbean. Their slogan for their Spanish speaking audience was "Las Alas de America" ( The Wings of America ) and they had an unoffical slogan for the Caribbean "Las Alas del Hombre" ( The Wings of Man ).

I grew up watching commercials like these two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC_qZ385Dt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKipb4Bk5Ck

I remember the Wings of Man theme. The first video link above features an L1011 TriStar. That was the last aircraft my dad flew before retiring. He loved it. Thanks for the memory.

Chris

Back