What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SE Michigan RV-12s & Sport Pilot Training?

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Hello all, new VAF member here from Belleville, MI, right next to Willow Run (KYIP). I'm not a pilot yet but do have some hours under my belt from pursuing my PPL. I actually started building an RV-10 empennage, but for various reasons that and the PPL have been on hold. I'm thinking going the sport pilot route would be best for me right now and so I'm considering building an RV-12, but I'd love to check one out in person first. I read through a few other threads on this same topic and jotted down some names to possibly PM, but the latest thread is three years old so I figured I'd canvas again to get the most current info.

So, anyone with an RV-12 in my area willing to show it off to a potential new builder? :)

Also, anyone know of any sport pilot training in this area? Seems like most flight schools have moved away from LSA. I wish I lived closer to Giving Wings Aviation, it would be awesome to train in an RV-12!

There was one for sale near Muenster something in MI last week, but I think it sold. At Zender airfield. tail # is n952wt... look it up and see if you can take a peek.

Bobby - I?m building a 10 close by you in Superior Township. Shoot me a private message if you continue to build your 10. Working on the fuselage now. Empennage complete.

Mark
419-344-1519

Worst case, you could at least get a ride and a look at the SLSA RV-12 at Giving Wings. Hopefully some folks will chime in here, but next week if you still need help trying to locate one in your area, let me know and I'll see what we can look up for you.

RV12 training

Hi Bobby I have built a 12 here in Frankenmuth Mi (66G)

I would highly recommend the folks at Traverse City for flight training and rv12 checkouts.

Would be glad to discuss building or show the aircraft .

Best of luck.

Bill

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Bill - I will PM you, would love to see your plane and discuss the build!

NinerBikes - it looks like you found Bill's plane. :)

Greg - thanks for the advice, I may make it to TC yet.

MSEYEFLY - thanks, I'll keep you in mind.

Yeah, I liked Bill's build and lack of weight from not adding much paint except the fiberglass.

Just couldn't find a way to get it to CA with how the weather is this time of year, short of putting it inside an enclosed trailer, for the long drive back home.

Maybe some day I'll find an unpainted bird for sale, as it suits me just fine. Thinking to myself, I'd rather fly than build, at this stage in life, very busy with a 92 yr old father and taking care of him, leaves limited building time.

Last edited:
Hello all, new VAF member here from Belleville, MI, right next to Willow Run (KYIP). I'm not a pilot yet but do have some hours under my belt from pursuing my PPL. I actually started building an RV-10 empennage, but for various reasons that and the PPL have been on hold. I'm thinking going the sport pilot route would be best for me right now and so I'm considering building an RV-12, but I'd love to check one out in person first. I read through a few other threads on this same topic and jotted down some names to possibly PM, but the latest thread is three years old so I figured I'd canvas again to get the most current info.

So, anyone with an RV-12 in my area willing to show it off to a potential new builder? :)

Also, anyone know of any sport pilot training in this area? Seems like most flight schools have moved away from LSA. I wish I lived closer to Giving Wings Aviation, it would be awesome to train in an RV-12!

I know it is a drive but the guys at Lapeer flight training in Caro do LSA training in a really nice Sling 2. The nice part with the Sling is that it is at least similar to the RV-12.

I assume they still do anyway.

Carl

I know it is a drive but the guys at Lapeer flight training in Caro do LSA training in a really nice Sling 2. The nice part with the Sling is that it is at least similar to the RV-12.

I assume they still do anyway.

Carl

Nice, thanks Carl. I have family near there, I'll check it out.

Thanks Joe. Any of those folks prone to giving rides that you're aware of?
Ray Community Airport 57D is a friendly place. I can not speak for the other two RV-12 pilots, but I would be willing to give a ride, perhaps this weekend if it stops raining.

Ray Community Airport 57D is a friendly place. I can not speak for the other two RV-12 pilots, but I would be willing to give a ride, perhaps this weekend if it stops raining.

That would be incredible! I'll PM you my number.

I'm anxious to see how it compares to the 152s I was training in. I got to talk to Bill and look at his plane yesterday and he said the 12 was easier to fly than the 152. I trained in a 172 once or twice too and I wasn't very impressed with that either. My buddy flew in from out of state in his RV-8 and gave me a ride, let me take the stick a little - I was blown away at how smooth and light on the controls it was - granted, it was an absolutely perfect day though.

So I did find out that Troy Air Experience has a StingSport, which should be closer to the RV-12 than a C162. I took a discovery flight in their 162 many years ago. Sounds like they would be my best bet.

Back