What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14's wing weight?

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
What is the weight of a 14 wing?

Doesn't have to be precise; within +/- whatever tolerance that makes you feel comfortable. I'll try calling and asking Vans if this doesn't conjur up a consensus.

I don't know the weight, but easily manageable for two people to carry. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 100 pounds each??

The two wing crates together weigh around 400 pounds, but I have no idea how much of that is crate, vinyl and paper vs parts.

how does 80# sound?

I have moved them around a bit, with help from another. Curious for planning hanging system for painting.

Just tried weigh-in this morning; approx 80#, includes AP servo; not including wing tip, aileron, flap.

wing painting jig

We've had pretty good luck with this. I'd put it on larger casters (maybe 4" wheels). It's 2" PVC and I put a 1" black steel pipe inside that just for peace of mind, but I think the PVC alone is fine. It's a 12' span which is almost too much. You want to keep it as narrow as is reasonable or you get too much sag.

It lets you rotate the wing 360deg easily and I use a piece of safety wire tied to the TE spar to hold it in place if it's not balanced.

photo.php

Nice paint scheme

Mark, very nice scheme and rotisserie setup.

I have set up a few rows of hanger beams. i plan to hang the wings and all the other bits and pieces.

I have an aircraft painter that will come to my place and do the painting, he recommended hanging the wings with the leading edge up. When I get the parts hanging I'll get some pics to post.

Back