What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canyon Lake, Tx, PIREPS?

MK77

Well Known Member
I'm planning a flight to Texas to visit my in-laws who live near New Braunfels and looking for any pireps on places to tie-down. We're planning to stay at an AirB&B at Canyon Lake so I was thinking of landing there. I see it's a private airport but looks like they allow visitors. Any RV'ers at 34TS? Or is it better to tie down at KBAZ?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Be prepared for anything. The owner used to be an @#$%$#$, hopefully it's changed or he died and someone else took over. He wouldn't even let EMS helicopters land there to pick up local residents in emergencies !!

Aside from that Canyon Lake was a nice place to visit during tourist season. I lived there for a year while I built a heliport and started up a helicopter tour business for a guy then moved back to my East Texas property.

Last edited:
another option

Matt,
34TS has a website if you search for canyon lake airport. I believe 1st day landing fee is $20. I haven't ever dealt with them though. 1T8 is in Bulverde and there are about 14 RVs there. They have tie downs. So if you're staying on the west side of the lake, it might be closer and more laid back than KBAZ although they are very nice also.
Cheers
Scott

Scott, do you have your plane at Boerne Stage? I have family close to Leon Springs and was considering flying there for the weekend when the virus thing is under control, do they have many RVers or hangars for rent?

I'm also at Boerne Stage. There are quite a few RVs there but you'll be hard pressed to find any available hangar space. They do have transient tie downs, however.

I'm also at Boerne Stage. There are quite a few RVs there but you'll be hard pressed to find any available hangar space. They do have transient tie downs, however.

Thanks. I?ll call them when I figure out when I?m going to fly down there.

Or is it better to tie down at KBAZ?

Not familiar with Canyon Lake, but live in New Braunfels and am familiar with KBAZ. If you want indoor storage, there are 3 new larger hangars in KBAZ that the owner will house transient traffic. I don't know what he charges per night (though I'm sure it's not cheap). If your interested, I'll be happy to get contact information for you.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

I had read opinions other places online for Canyon Lake similar to what was mentioned here, that it's only for residents and not particularly friendly. Maybe that is outdated information as the website looks somewhat inviting for visitors. I'll give the number listed there a call and see what I can find out.

Randy, info for KBAZ would be helpful in the even of weather or some other situation where I may want to pull it into a hangar for the night. Thanks!

Car

You're almost certainly going to need a car, and driving in that area is very easy, so look at New Braunfels, San Marcos, and any other airport in the area.

1T7

1T7, kestrel air park has hail shed, tie down and fuel. Aloha aviation is the fbo for tie down and hail shed info.

1T7, kestrel air park has hail shed, tie down and fuel. Aloha aviation is the fbo for tie down and hail shed info.

I've never landed at Kestrel, so take this hearsay FWIW. Multiple pilots have told me Kestrel is more of a challenge to land at. Has a sloped runway, runway alignment is not parallel with predominant winds (often leading to crosswind landings) and turbulence from buildings, trees, and hills close to runway add to its complexity. Not trying to discourage you going in there, just sharing information for your decision process.

If you are new to your aircraft it can be intimidating. 3000x40, but really 2700 due to ski jump hill at beginning of 12. After 14 years of building, with little flying, I won't lie, it scared the **** out of me at first. Not as bad as it seems, though.

Winds usually 30deg out, favoring 12. Ski jump hill actually funnels wind, so no cross and increased wind dropping through. Hangars and layout of lots actually block a lot of the cross. We put touch down markers on 12 to help those unfamiliar with where to aim.

Thanks all! I'd overlooked Kestrel but I'll consider it. Great info on the landing conditions there too. We will have access to a car so Kestrel or New Braunfels are all options. I was thinking Canyon Lake because since we're staying there it will be easier if I want to take someone for a flight during the stay.

Back