- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-30-2020, 09:01 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I would go directly to breaking the head off and replacing the underlying nut plate. If it strips out then drill, like Steve said. Then just remove the nut plate with screw stuck in it.

Fiddling with a lot of trick processes will increase the risk of collateral damage. At least in my experience(s).
I?m going to second (or third, or fourth) this plan as well. In the time it takes to read this thread, you could have easily drilled off the head, drilled out the nutplate, and installed a new one. Probably a couple of times.

Nutplates are pretty cheap, as are screws. Don?t let them harsh your mellow!

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM

Default SUCCESS.... ITS OUT .... The Butt Hole Screw...

I Learned a lot...thanks. I like Sea Foam Deep Creep vs other stuff in same niche. Area cannot take a beating, so hammer strikes are not permitted. Root fairing is all one piece, but top was accessible. Soooo, I could get some penetrating lube on the threads, the countersink/head side..not so. I sprayed, and it sat overnight. At hangar around 9am. Took soldering iron and poked at her...stayed this way for 3 minutes. Took a new #2 Phillips bit, loaded that sucker in my manual driver..... Pop....it spun right out.

Right float sender was flaky, the reason for my journey into the wing root. Was able today to remove the sender Tony Bingelis installed 28 years ago and cleaned up the old sealant. New Stewart Warner sender going in with newly bent float/ wire. YES... I bent the 3/4? per Vans at the end/first. I will lather up some sealant on it in the morning and install and wait to cure. Thanks again for all the input. Non builder here.... was quicker to ask and learn, than forge ahead and regret, though I understand the comments. Retired.... hope I got the time to do it the Long waaay😉 Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 07:53 PM

Default Amatures!

Every aircraft mechanic should have a speed handle with a Palm butt on the handle. Ive literally removed and replaced tens of thousands of screws on F4s with a speed handle. It will break the bit before it strips the head. If you can?t break the screw loose with it you might as well drill the head off.

If you dont know what it is, google it. When I see guys using a screw driver I think they must not know about a speed handle. Just use caution when installing screws because it applied more torq than a screw driver.

Cm
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.