What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel Tires (old subject, new thread)

Andreas68

I know this subject has been discussed at length but many of the relevant threads are older so looking for new information regarding recommended nose wheel tires, especially Cheng Shins which I believe is what Allan at AntiSplat offers when you send him a nose wheel for the bearing mod, which I am about to do, and need new rubber, too.

Some of the older posts on this subject indicated a lot of quality control issues with the Cheng Shins, but then I have an Aero Classic on my nose now and (not sure) but it may be Chinese made, also. The wear on it was only "so-so" considering that I try to keep the nose up and off the runway whenever possible.

Some considerations:
1. Maintaining nose wheel integrity is a high priority for obvious reasons, don't want the tire/tube combination to be the limiting factor - weakest link - by going cheap
2. Beringer wheel/tire kit appears to be very high quality and of course you pay for it. Beringer recommends you take the wheel to an approved service center for tire replacement after the tubeless tire (Aero-Classic?) they give you when you purchase the wheel kit needs replacement. This would be a hassle.
3. Correct installation/fitment of the tire/tube combination may be as important (e.g. not to pinch or otherwise damage the tube) as the manufacturing quality of the tire and tube themselves - Antisplat can certainly do a much better job of mounting and truing the tire/tube than me
4. I noticed that Walmart appears to sell up to 50 different Cheng Shin tire models now, at least on-line - does this mean the quality of said tires is now good enough to be "mainstream"?
Anyway, looking for advice on tires/tubes before I send my nosewheel into AntiSplat for "the works."
Thanks
Andreas
RV7A

I personally recommend the Beringer, very high quality wheel and uses the Desser 8 ply AeroClassic tire and is TUBELESS.
The Beringer tire is easy to change by the average mechanic/owner.

Tires

Thanks. Does the Beringer nose wheel kit come complete with sealed bearings (bearings need no maintenance)? Also, will the standard (original) axle work with the Beringer wheel without additional mods/spacers?

Andreas
RV7A

Thanks. Does the Beringer nose wheel kit come complete with sealed bearings (bearings need no maintenance)? Also, will the standard (original) axle work with the Beringer wheel without additional mods/spacers?

Andreas
RV7A

The Beringer comes with it own solid axle and spacer, remove the old wheel and bolt on the new one, everything you need comes with it. And yes it has sealed roller bearings.

Thanks, Walt, for the helpful info. Now I just need to get a discount from Beringer on the nosewheel kit so that I can afford it!

Back