What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Stock Nose Gear

ShortSnorter

Well Known Member
Through all of my searches, it seems most folks that have reported challenges simply went off script and swapped the stock axle and wheel for an upgrade. I'd like to give the stock set up a try but and have a question about the bolt and washer stack.

The bolt is too short (-65) & I cannot find a longer (-66) one to replace it anywhere. Another option is to reduce the washer stack the plans prescribe:

2 x 062 25783054
2 x NAS1249F0663P
2 x NAS1149F0632P

If I reduce the washers, does it need to be done symmetrically on both sides (i.e. remove the same type and number of washer)?

Mine was also too short, with the stock axle or the Matco, I am using the Matco since I can fine tune the adjustment.

I did buy a longer one and will need to look up where I got it, it took a bit of searching. I will send you a post if I can locate the source.

Edit:
Here is the source that I got mine and I end up with a -67. It was $10, so not too bad

bandbaircraftsupplies.com

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

**Update**

gen-aircraft.com wanted $28 + shipping!

b&b is $10 + shipping

It seems Van's just needs to revise the plans with the correct bolt if this is that common of an issue?

Last edited:
Resolution

Just to bring this full circle and close the thread. The stock hardware call out works fine IF you actually use what is called out. It seems I used did not use the MS21083N6 (low profile) that was called out. Using this allows the appropriate amount thread exposed beyond the nut.

I swapped over to the Beringer nose wheel. I did not like the fact that you can't put the valve stem cap on the original wheel. It hit the nose fork assembly.

Back