What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue plastic/residue

Kirk S

I just finished removing all of the plastic covering the RV7 project I’m trying to finish, on one side it peeled off just fine using a heat gun then came the other, wow! Most of it left some glue residue, some left a lot and the rest had to be scrapped off using a plastic scraper and it left a lot of residue. This is a early 7 project that has had quite a few challenges.
To remove the glue I started trying (in order) mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, goo gone, WD 40 (works sometimes), acetone, M.E.K. (substitute), lacquer thinner, looking around found some awesome, then a little Super Clean from Walmart that a friend gave me to try and it worked ! I’m going to Walmart tomorrow for 2 gallons. Have no idea what’s in it and I will wash the plane with soap (dawn) and water when I’m done.
Someday this project will be an airplane and fly. :)

I don't think I would use something this strong on 2024 aluminum without knowing what's in it!

Ingredients in Super Clean:

https://superclean.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Super-Clean-Ingredients.pdf

Chemistry wasn’t my favorite subject. Are any of these ingredients bad for aluminum (bare), or paint if it’s not washed off. In the video on the company website, the two guy’s demoing the product sprayed it on their dirty shirts when they were done and threw them in the washing machine - with good results.

Getting the goo off aluminum skins is a challenge. I’m surprised that a degreaser worked.

Says it has sodium hydroxide, lye, in it. I would not use it on my aluminum airplane. If you only used it to remove residue from parts before assembly and washed it off, maybe ok?? Don’t know? I would not want it in the overlaps of a completed plane where it could not be washed off.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Wilddog. If it works for removing glue residue, I wouldn’t use it on any assembled part, and then make sure to wash completely with plenty of soap and copious quantities of water.

Sodium hydroxide is also known as lye or soda , or caustic soda. At room temperature, sodium hydroxide is a white crystalline odorless solid that absorbs moisture from the air. It is a synthetically manufactured substance. When dissolved in water or neutralized with acid it releases substantial amounts of heat, which may prove sufficient to ignite combustible materials. Sodium hydroxide is highly corrosive. Sodium hydroxide is generally used as a solid or a diluted in a 50% solution. This chemical is used to manufacture soaps, rayon, paper, explosives, dyestuffs, and petroleum products. It is also used in processing cotton fabric, laundering and bleaching, metal cleaning and processing, oxide coating, electroplating, and electrolytic extracting. It is commonly found in commercial drain/ oven cleaners.

just an observation......i wonder if the glue has been changed in 10 yrs. last month i peeled the plastic off the vert. stab.. it had been on 7 yrs. mineral spirits easily removed the glue residue.

My kit had the plastic on for 15 years and left a good amount of residue. I used laquer thinner. Key is to constantly soak new towels as the residue stick to it and smears around.

Prior to paint, I used dish soap and a green scotch pad. You would be surprised how well this removes the residue. Just before paint, I scuff again with a maroon pad.

Larry

Think I’ll hold off for a while with the “Super Clean” maybe use Simple Green extreme a little more. It seemed to work better that the lacquer thinner and didn’t smell as bad. Since this project is mostly together cleaning individual pieces is impossible.
After the replies about super clean I’ve rinsed that 4”x4” trail spot twice !
Thanks, Kirk

Sounds like a good reason to remove the stupid plastic as soon as possible, unless you are doing a polished aluminum finish. To prime and paint, you will scuff the aluminum with maroon scotchbrite pads and aluminum cleaner.

Since reading this post, I bought a bottle of Super Clean at Ace hardware, and used it to clean up my ARV - airport recreational vehicle (golf cart). It really did a nice job. I don’t think I’ll use it on my airplane though. Maybe to clean up my hangar floor after an oil change on my plane or my truck.

Back