What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aithre Pirep

bernsbm

Friend
I thought some of the Forum’s readers might be interested in my experience with Aithre support. I purchased an Aithre SHIELD EX 3.0 for installation in my RV12iS. On initial powerup, the G3X showed CO levels of ~17PPM. The reported level never varied, suggesting the unit might not be functioning properly. I sent an e mail to Aithre and within a few hours the CEO (Jim) and COO (Zuzana) were on the phone discussing the problem. Jim’s comment “We will get this working!” stood out as they guided me through initial troubleshooting. Although the wiring appeared correct, and the unit had been checked prior to shipping, it clearly was not functioning.

Jim offered to send a second EX 3.0 unit, which he personally checked prior to shipping. On receipt and installation, the unit performed similarly to the first, showing a consistent CO level of ~38PPM. At this point Jim sent me an Aithre portable CO detector to confirm there was no CO in my hanger, and to have a CO detector on board for my first flight. He also asked I return one of the EX 3.0 units for disassembly and inspection (a postage prepaid return envelope was included with the portable CO detector).

Several days later I received a follow up call from Aithre. Based on the autopsy of the returned unit, Jim sent me a new unit modified to address an issue related to my installation (suspected reverse current flow through the ground or signal leads that might be damaging the CO sensor). On reinstallation the modified unit worked perfectly. Jim even sent matches and incense, which gives off CO when burning, to test the sensor and confirm everything was working.

In the end, Jim and his team spent hours trouble shooting, testing, replacing and ultimately modifying a new CO detector to address a problem related to the installation in my plane. As Jim said during my initial contact “We will get this working!”

Can’t ask for better support than that.

By the way, my first flight was a success, with no CO detected.

Hi Jerald,
The wiring harness, built by SteinAir, was checked as part of our initial troubleshooting and confirmed to be correct. I don't know where the presumed reverse current flow might have originated (and am anything but qualified to guess). I have a G3X system, and everything is functioning normally.
Barry

The GEA24 'LO' pin may not be at "aircraft ground" which may be the reason for their note in the IM multiple times, perhaps this was the problem?

MAKE SURE THE BLACK GROUND WIRE IS GROUNDED TO AIRCRAFT GROUND AS THE PIN GROUNDS (E.G. PIN 30 AND 28) ON THE GEA 24 MAY NOT ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO AIRCRAFT GROUND.

I've installed a number of these units with no issues.

Thanks Walt, appreciate you raising this point. Jim at Aithre asked the same question regarding "grounding" through the GEA24 as well.

Just to clarify for those builders considering installing the CO detector in their RV12 ELSA, the wiring harness from SteinAir was configured correctly. The CO unit ground lead is connected directly to aircraft ground, not through the GEA24.

Back