What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Monoxide Detector

climberrn

Well Known Member
Wanted to give a PIREP about the Sensorcon CO detector. Been using it flawlessly for over 5 years. Sent it back to the factory last year for recalibration. Was painless. I leave it on 24/7. Battery lasted 4+ years. Gives a continuous and instant reading with an audible alarm. Much better in my opinion than the color changing dots. The dots need replaced regularly, and I doubt you would notice the change in color if an event arises.

I have had it alarm a couple of times when people are doing a ground run near me. This can be used to track down leaks in the firewall. With the near instant reading, you can move it around and locate the source.

Our wagon was rear ended a few years ago. Insurance company was not going to give us a rental car and there was a wait was a couple of weeks for parts. Put the CO detector in the car and it lit up. Hard for the insurance company to deny that it was unsafe to drive.

Long story short...for a 4 ounce device that costs less than $150. Can clip it on or attach with Velcro. It has the potential to save your life someday. Wanted to put it out there.

https://sensorcon-sensing-products-by-molex.myshopify.com/

Hey, Thanks for sharing. I was chatting with an airport friend just a couple weeks ago. He had a CO issue and found leaking exhaust. He had a detector but not sure what type. I've been thinking about getting something. Your post is right on time!

Check In The Hangar on youtube for an episode featuring a guy who crashed his Mooney after being overcome by CO2.

Made me think about fitting a second detector.

I hope this is not a drift and if so please feel free to delete.

I was wondering what are the typical places that CO2 enters the cabin. Obviously if there is an exhaust leak in the engine compartment and the firewall is not completely sealed, but what if the it does not come from the firewall?

I have a CO detector that is very sensitive and once in a while it registers CO but at a very low level.

I also use the Sensorcon and it is really worth every penny. It is very sensitive and takes up little room in the cockpit.

I hope this is not a drift and if so please feel free to delete.

I was wondering what are the typical places that CO2 enters the cabin. Obviously if there is an exhaust leak in the engine compartment and the firewall is not completely sealed, but what if the it does not come from the firewall?

I have a CO detector that is very sensitive and once in a while it registers CO but at a very low level.

Some times if the exhaust is not clearing the belly of the airplane it can get "pumped" into the low pressure of the fuselage/tail area. I notice this some times on descents with a tailwind.

I have used an Aeromedix CO detector in my planes for years. Very sensitive and gives a digital read-out. It would frequently go off while taxiing my Archer, because the exhaust would come through the wing-mounted air vents, and it always goes off when the fuel truck comes. They keep getting smaller, too. The latest one is about 2 inches in diameter and an inch or so tall. :)

I installed this

https://aithreaviation.com/collecti...ex-2-0-analog-output-carbon-monoxide-detector

and am very happy with it, integrated with my Skyview system. Accurate enough to read the CO levels in the ambient air locally (confirmed by comparison with SCAQMD data). 10-year lifetime before needing to be refurbished by the manufacturer.

I'm also very happy with Aithre with my G3X, if anyone needs one, I just replaced my model II with the III to so I can get SPO2.
Sell the one listed above for $200.

Some times if the exhaust is not clearing the belly of the airplane it can get "pumped" into the low pressure of the fuselage/tail area. I notice this some times on descents with a tailwind.
This is also my guess as where it is coming in from and likewise I have notice it more on the descending than cruising.

Back