What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Identification plate location and attachment. Cads

Emery

Hello,
I'm wondering where other Canadians have attached the ID plate to their RV aircraft.

Also at the four attach points, if there is a special requirement for the hardware used.... special rivets or screws. Thanks, Emery

The intent of the regulations around the ID plate is that it must be fireproof and should not be easily removed. With this in mind, rivets are definitely preferred. Monel rivets if you have them so the plate doesn't fall off when cheap soft aluminum "pop" rivets melt before anything else in that area. MD-RA provides an excellent stainless steel data plate to builders.

The intent of the regulations around the ID plate is that it must be fireproof and should not be easily removed. With this in mind, rivets are definitely preferred. Monel rivets if you have them so the plate doesn't fall off when cheap soft aluminum "pop" rivets melt before anything else in that area. snip

Just curious, but do you think it matters if the alum pop rivets melts first or the aircraft skin? I think pretty much at that point the only thing left will be the stainless plate with only the engraving visible, but I could be wrong.

I have mounted them on the side panel that covers the flap arm. Also it doesn't matter what type of rivet you use to fasten them if there is a fire it doesn't really matter you won't be asked.

Left side under the horizontal stabilizer, a few inches back.

Thanks for the help to all of you. I will put it on the left side under the horizontal stabilizer, a few inches back. best regards

Back